SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Imaging Setup - Last check before I hit 'Buy'

Hailfire101

Hi everyone.
Ok, D-Day is upon me, I'm about to hit buy on this years big purchase, but before I do I just wanted to run in by you guys, incase you think I've missed something, or need to swap or.. you know. 
I need confidence. lol

I'm just about to by the following;
ASI1600MM-Pro Camera
ZWO EFW mini wheel (5 position 1.25")
Baader Narrowband Filters in 1.25"  (Ha (7nm), OIII & SII: )
Baader T2 extension Tub (7.5mm spacer)
Baader Mk-III MPCC Coma Corector

Before I hit buy, is there anything blatant I should consider?
I was looking at the 31mm filters... but at F5 the 1.25" should be ok? (Nothing a flat cant fix?)
I've gone for the MK-III MPCC as it does not change F stop, like my current Skywatcher one does. Hope the stars stay ok at F5?

I'm using a 200p with moonlite if you need more info on the scope. :)

Please, before I hit buy, give me a bit of confidence. haha :)
Thanks in advance, Mike

Nice setup, I've pretty much got the same camera setup as you, but i already had a full set (LRGBHSO) 36mm unmounted Baader filters, so I went with 7 position EFW and the ZWO OAG (using the ASI290mm mini which is brilliant as a guide cam compared to my previous GPCAM2). There are many more knowledgeable folk here than me, but I would consider buying a Luminance filter (if you dont already possess one) as well.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Good luck with the purchase, its a great camera IMHO

As I live in a semi light polluted area, I thought I'd go narrow band to start with, while I practice with the new kit and processing skills I'm going to have to learn. :)
Would a luminance filter be needed for that?
When I've looked at images posted online I just seem to see the 3 filters I've gone for.

I'm in it for the long run, so just need enough to get me going this season.

My understanding is that the Lum filter is used more commonly with RGB filters for broadband targets and you will be fine with HOS filters for Narrowband. You CAN of course use them all in various combos, I am sure I have seen people using Ha with RGB for example to provide a detailed Lum layer but, if you are wanting to start out in Narrowband, you'll be fine with what you have....of course...when the bug really hits, you'll be after all sorts of filters and then find yourself Googling, "Astrodon".....?

The Lum filter is Luminance, so it's just capturing the brightness of the object, and it's typically used for adding to your RGB captures to bring out details not captured by the filtered light.  With narrowband, the desire is to only image certain wavelengths, then assign them a color when processing. You don't need Luminance for this.

You're already ahead of the game by not using the ZWO narrowband filters. They produce some pretty bad star halos on bright stars. (I have this same camera.) Eventually, not happy with the halos, I changed to Astrodon filters, which have better anti-reflective coatings on them, and all the halos were eliminated. I have seen some instances of halos with Baader on OIII, but some people have had no issues. 

My scope is an F7 reduced down to F5.7, and I still see minor vignetting on 31mm filters. But I can correct it all out with flats. Astronomy tools has a calculator to check the size of filters for your scope. That might help you decide.

1 hour ago, Lead_weight said:

My scope is an F7 reduced down to F5.7, and I still see minor vignetting on 31mm filters. But I can correct it all out with flats. Astronomy tools has a calculator to check the size of filters for your scope. That might help you decide.

25.75mm recommended minimum... so I'll expect some vignetting... but shouldn't be something a good set of flats cant fix.  Thanks for this link! Handy stuff.

I was fed up with the halos I was getting with the Baader [OIII] filter, so bought a complete set of 3nm Astrodons, 1.25" so not quite 2nd mortgage.

If I couldn't go to Astrodon I'd be thinking Astronomik.

And the final pieces of the puzzle have arrived!!!
Just installed the drivers and tested in the software I use. All working and ready to go.
Now, clouds and storms.. begger off!!!!  Give me a clear night! :)

Not been this excited since I first bought my scope!

camera.jpg

Archived