SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from North Wales (Pwllheli)

BeachBumz

Hi Guys and Gals,

A complete beginer here, I just purchased my first telescope (skywatcher 200p) and was guided here by the gentleman I purchased from. I hope to sometime meet up with other members in this area  so I can get some advice and assistance on the journey of discovery I'm about to embark.

Already I'm learning from the vast library of practical information here so well done guys and thanks.

HELLO

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, you've come to the right place 

Hopefully your in one of the darker areas of North Wales, if not you wont have far to travel

I plan to venture into North Wales at some point for some dark sky observing with my new 200p dob 

Welcome from land down under

My 250mm dob is my first weapon of choice when come to visual observing

There is also some good APPs available, including Heaven Above, Lunar Phase, ISS Detector

Another small trick with your dob

The hard plastic dust cover, has a detachable cap

The cap fits over the other non removable cap

Sticky tap bit of visual Baader filter underside, and you able to do solar viewing

Remember to leave your Telrad off the dob

John

PS  Back in the early sixties, when in high school, had a penfriend, who lived in Neath, Wales

Lost contact with her, when was posted to Vietnam

Hi BB, and a warm welcome from me, the first telescope I bought was the 200P and still have it, a great scope for DSO's (Deep Sky Objects), you can even see 5 or 6 of Saturn's moons as well as the planet itself, a stunning sight, so enjoy the journey!

21 hours ago, BeachBumz said:

It's a Dobsonian Mount with a Telrad spotter, It also came complete with a meriad of eyepieces and filters. The guy even gave me his adjustable chair.

Thanks for the welcome, all I need now is a visable sky!

Like you say, just gotta wait for some dark and clear skies to enjoy what you have purchased.
You may have noted some of us use a signature box, where we can announce our equipment?
If you feel the need to do the same, Its available under your avatar tab up there on the right of the menu bar,  then look for account settings, then over on the left 'signature'.  

Thank guys for such a welcome,

22 hours ago, PaulM said:

Welcome, you've come to the right place 

Hopefully your in one of the darker areas of North Wales, if not you wont have far to travel

I plan to venture into North Wales at some point for some dark sky observing with my new 200p dob 

Yes I'm very close to dark sky, most of this peninsular is dark. It's the rain clouds that'll get you lol. We get every season in an afternoon. 

My wife and I have been out scouting the area for good spots today and so far the weather is looking good.

Thanks for the advice already guys, I'll add a signature when I understand exactly what I have purchased, forgive my ignorance of board etiquette it's been some years since I became involved in a community. 

Hey John "cletrac1922" What is the detachable cap for on the dust cap for?

Ian,

3 hours ago, BeachBumz said:

Hey John "cletrac1922" What is the detachable cap for on the dust cap for?

There was mention of  Baader Filter. There's a small 2" aperture on the dustcover which comes off, and you store it over the other?
It can be used to apply a filter, in order to look at the Sun.

I have often used the same trick, leaving the main dust cover in situ, and only removing the 2" cap. The reason I use this method is that it cuts down a lot of glare whilst viewing the Moon. Some folk will mention that you may lose some definition in the detail, due to the smaller aperture that's now in use, rather than the full 8", but were looking at the Moon and the loss of detail is negligible , but so much easier on the eye when the Moon seems to be overly bright on certain nights of the Year.

6 hours ago, Charic said:

There was mention of  Baader Filter. There's a small 2" aperture on the dustcover which comes off, and you store it over the other?
It can be used to apply a filter, in order to look at the Sun.

I have often used the same trick, leaving the main dust cover in situ, and only removing the 2" cap. The reason I use this method is that it cuts down a lot of glare whilst viewing the Moon. Some folk will mention that you may lose some definition in the detail, due to the smaller aperture that's now in use, rather than the full 8", but were looking at the Moon and the loss of detail is negligible , but so much easier on the eye when the Moon seems to be overly bright on certain nights of the Year.

Charic

Can also be used for that

Can also use a lunar filter, screwed into the eyepiece

I use that when doing presentation with school/scout groups with club belong to

John

Archived