Narrowband

What Would Be Your Answer To This Question?

refractordude

Travelling instantly 250000 miles and flying over the surface of the moon is an awe inspiring, magically relaxing, chill-out experience. Travelling back in time 2000000 years and looking at the Andromeda galaxy as it once was is amazing when you let your mind absorb the magnificence of it all. Then there's the hedgehogs, Owls communicating with eachother, Cats, Bats, homemade apple pie and icecream at 3am brought to me by my wife who's a light sleeper. On field trips there are Curlews playing pop at the perceived threat astronomers pose to their nests. Sheep that sneak up on you from behind an then cough like humans, momentarily giving you a mild hear attack. Geese that sound like a flock of flying donkeys. Oh, and the pleasureable company at times of other like-minded individuals. Plus its better than what's on TV!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I never realized they were wild critters in some places.  They're strictly pets in the Americas.

Definitely wild round here, and lots of them too! They have been in decline I believe for a few years, but things seem to be improving for the hedgehog in recent years thankfully. 

Some great answers on here...

Some years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. The sort of person I am l started measuring it after various activities. Nothing- absolutely nothing- brought it down like a good observing session.

I like imaging too, but it tends to have the reverse effect!

As to the point about fear, I recently had a camping holiday in France. After everyone had gone to bed I left the campsite and wandered into the adjacent forest, found a clearing and lay on my back looking at the sky with my bins and trying to get a picture or two of the milky way. Man it was noisy! I was ok at first, but after a while started to get seriously spooked by the constant scurrying, rustling, squeaking and hooting.

I decided to make my way back, but shortly after finding the path something up ahead and dog-ish ran through the feeble beam of my torch. Probably just a fox. Or possibly a wolf that was hungry and had huge teeth. I could see a pale shape roughly where it had disappeared into the undergrowth, so it was obviously lurking there waiting for me. I shouted at it, but it didn't move. So I strode towards it, uneasily guessing whether my DSLR or binoculars would make the better weapon. I was a few feet away when I realised that I was trying to intimidate a boulder...

So- yes- fear for me too.

On 11/09/2018 at 10:04, John said:

I feel quite priviledged to be able to witness such things with my own eyes. 

I'd go with most of whats been said and sometimes summing things up in a few words is difficult but I think "privileged" is good John on several levels. That sense of being so fortunate to be here looking out there, that sense of being so insignificant, just a speck in the immensity of it all and yet we are able to look at it and at least try to take it all in - and its beautiful. 

Archived