SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What Would Be Your Answer To This Question?

refractordude

24 minutes ago, SIDO said:

The poster asked for a brief description regarding what one gets from observing the Universe, I gave a short but entirely honest answer so doing I admitted being human and have become the butt of jokes. Maybe my physcological well studied not physiological fear of an asteroid strike or a supernova maybe even a solar flare hot enough to burn the neighbor's kitty is illogical to you but for me these are very real threats and I could list hundreds more as the cosmos is littered with options here. 

Hot enough to burn the neighbor's kitty,  Ha hahaha / see there goes that I'm only human thing again ?

I understand completely what you mean, though. ;)

I was imaging some colliding galaxies the other night and when I looked at the subs I thought wow. Imagine 5 enormous masses smashing into each other, tearing their swirling arms apart. The amount of momentum being converted to sheer destructive power is mind blowing. 

Asteroid impacts have never frightened me much, I guess because the NASA database doesn't show any hitting within my lifetime.  Although they would be nasty to have happen if you were around for it….. ?

John

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the reasons why I do this hobby have been expressed well already in this thread. I've been fascinated by space since I was a kid (growing up during the Apollo missions probably had an influence on that !) and I think amateur astronomy gives me the chance to gain a little first hand experience of exploring the Universe. 

I do like to gaze at things which are way beyond the issues that seem to fill our media down here on Earth. Events and places where human affairs have no bearing whatsoever. When I observe, say, a moon shadow transit on Jupiter or a faint galaxy group or a supernova glowing feebly many light years away and way back in time, I feel quite priviledged to be able to witness such things with my own eyes. 

53 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Asteroid impacts have never frightened me much, I guess because the NASA database doesn't show any hitting within my lifetime.

There was a report a couple of years back (think it was 2014) about a large chunk that was discovered 4 days after its closest approach - which was (IIRC) about twice lunar distance. So not quite so comforting! 

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Not the butt of jokes, just a bit of gentle humour.  It is interesting the different responses people have. When I observe, I don’t actually imagine the violence of the events out there. It all just looks and feels very peaceful to me, perhaps my lack of imagination, but peaceful is how I feel when I observe. When trying to concentrate on pulling out detail I find my breathing slows right down, heart rate drops and I concentrate to a degree that I forget the stresses and strains of everyday life, that’s what it is about for me really.

I am the same in respect to the relaxation and peace a little quiet goes a mile for me too. I do enjoy breaking down what it is I am observing or have observed for that matter even doing it post session it is a rewarding part of the observation, so for me its alot about the possibilities and these factor in everything I know of the Universe, astrophysics, physics, science and astronomy I read everything I can get my hands on and am busy in thought behind the eyepiece in an all encompassing sort of way...if company is about the lengthes of astronomical discussions can superceed the observations if the visitor is a novice they will be a junior astronomer in no time. Hyperactive imagination or realistic investigation it is me and I can accept that. 

I was being humorous also as well pointing out my reality and also as constructive as I could be after being called out on the fear coment repeatedly, I did not want to embark on explainations that define fear and only did so as to end the discussion of it.

Cheers Everyone ?

We all react in different ways? (A statement of the bloomin' obvious? lol)
Personally, I observe the universe with a "quite pleasure"? Just not for me,
the "Wunderz" of TV science, audience cheering "Tedx" Rallies Talks etc. ?

Sometimes I feel that the internet *demands* we live life on a continual
knife edge of love/hate, passion/apathy, the transcendental/secular etc.
If you're like me... "That's fun/nice/cool" is a fairly valid experience too... ?

I HAVE e.g. (instinctively) abandoned an "imaging session" and just stared
transfixed at the beauty of the sky for a couple hours! This is more often
interrupted by security lights (night) or the roar of a lawn mower (day). ?

But I do (mostly!) remain OPTIMISTIC! lol ?

Grumpy.jpg.8fe1dc23de9c5b474fb36bbb9283e791.jpg 

I'm afraid I can offer only rather boring answers to this question, and try not to regard what I do with the scope as any different to what others do when appreciating the scenery, or art, or a poem, or an insect, etc. What I get out of stargazing is probably similar to what I get out of looking out the window, or at the mountains, or a forest, etc, and I guess it comes down to losing myself somewhat, and resetting what's important.

Kev

5 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I would classify my fear under this, I am aware of the cats presense but I sometimes forget to close the garage door, and the cats go in and try to get into the house itself. They did go right in once, but other times they will just hang about in there until I enter the completely dark garage then flash past me knocking stuff down. They are black cats, too, really creepy. ?

John

Here are giant cockroaches... so big that they can eat our dogs..

2 hours ago, Macavity said:

We all react in different ways? (A statement of the bloomin' obvious? lol)
Personally, I observe the universe with a "quite pleasure"? Just not for me,
the "Wunderz" of TV science, audience cheering "Tedx" Rallies Talks etc. ?

Sometimes I feel that the internet *demands* we live life on a continual
knife edge of love/hate, passion/apathy, the transcendental/secular etc.
If you're like me... "That's fun/nice/cool" is a fairly valid experience too... ?

I HAVE e.g. (instinctively) abandoned an "imaging session" and just stared
transfixed at the beauty of the sky for a couple hours! This is more often
interrupted by security lights (night) or the roar of a lawn mower (day). ?

But I do (mostly!) remain OPTIMISTIC! lol ?

Grumpy.jpg.8fe1dc23de9c5b474fb36bbb9283e791.jpg 

Your cat looks a little grumpy.. maybe jealous that you're not paying enough attention to it....

25 minutes ago, Louis D said:

As far as fear goes, our Texas Attic/Tree Rats come out at night and scurry about.  I do sometimes worry about one deciding to scurry up my leg while observing.

Can you get bicycle clips in Texas ? :smiley:

8 hours ago, SIDO said:

Joy, astonishment, bewilderment, wonder and fear. 

Yes, all of those. I see "fear" raised a few eyebrows.

I too include fear. At least as a boy. Not fear of the dark or cats or any physical threat, real or imagined (although I've had those too!).

I looked up out of curiosity, looking for answers, looking for signs of a god, signs of a purpose, a design, a reason for it all. I found few answers only stark, uncaring cold. That frightened me. To realise that our Universe isn't a warm loving womb was a shock.

To look up and realise that I nor the universe had a purpose and no reason to exist still stirs consternation within. Maybe still, when I look up, I'm reminded of the fragility of our world, our existence and it's a fearful thought. 

But hey, cheer up! I'm a romantic, no journey is worth the effort unless it's an emotional journey :)

3 hours ago, John said:

Can you get bicycle clips in Texas ? :smiley:

They're just as likely to scurry up the outside of leg coverings if you hold still too long while observing.  I move and stomp about on purpose to make sure they know I'm something not to be climbed upon. ?

11 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

From some of the perils of observing in other countries with the wildlife/vermin etc, it seems us in the UK get off very lightly if all we need to worry about are cats! ;) 

....and the occasional low-flying bat at twilight.  Oh, and I was once shaken by a raucous retching sound in the border.  It was a vomiting hedgehog!

Doug.

24 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Quaking in my boots Doug! Vomiting hedgehogs! Yikes! ;) 

Hodgehegs are cute though. ? I've got one that rustles around in the bushes after slugs and things when I'm setting up, it always freezes whenever I refocus though! :D It's a nice fat one too, so hopefully it will make the winter. :)

John

11 hours ago, Stu said:

I forget the stresses and strains of everyday life

I've been thinking about this question and was struggling for an answer but when I read this it hits the mark and is a big thing that I get out of visual observing, being immersed in the moment and forgetting everything else for a while.

2 hours ago, Paz said:

I've been thinking about this question and was struggling for an answer but when I read this it hits the mark and is a big thing that I get out of visual observing, being immersed in the moment and forgetting everything else for a while.

And this is probably why I'll never be an astro imager because I have a technical day job and don't want to come home to another one.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

And this is probably why I'll never be an astro imager because I have a technical day job and don't want to come home to another one.

Exactly why I didn't take to imaging - I used IT all day, didn't want to use it for leisure as well.

Archived