Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair Astro Field Flatener/Reducer

Hello all!
I have the Altair Astro ED72-R and have just purchased the 1.0x field flattener for it.
My question is:

Do you know if it requires a (suggested in the blurb) 10mm spacer to connect it to my Canon DSLR to obtain correct back focus?
I have the smaller (1.25in) t-ring that I used to use with the 1.25in eyepiece t-adapter.
The flattener does have the ability to work with 1.25in or 2in adapters too.

I guess I am asking which one of these is best:

1. SCOPE + FLATTENER (2in) + T-MOUNT + CAMERA
2. SCOPE + FLATTNER (2in) + SPACER + T-MOUNT + CAMERA
3. SCOPE + FLATTENER (1.25in) + T-MOUNT + CAMERA
4. SCOPE + FLATTENER (1.25in) + SPACER + T-MOUNT + CAMERA

Any others ...?!?!?!?!

Thank you in advance.

As always .... clear skies .......

That should work with the 2" flattener, which is the best choice. Normally they need about 55-56 mm backfocus, your camera is 44 mm plus the ring (11mm) so your spacing should be close if not right on. Maybe you will need some extra spacing with Baader delrin rings for fine tuning: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-t2-delrin-spacer-ring-set.html

4 hours ago, Waldemar said:

That should work with the 2" flattener, which is the best choice. Normally they need about 55-56 mm backfocus, your camera is 44 mm plus the ring (11mm) so your spacing should be close if not right on. Maybe you will need some extra spacing with Baader delrin rings for fine tuning: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-t2-delrin-spacer-ring-set.html

Thank you for this information. :)

Archived