SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starter set up advice

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Time and motion study ?: Setup time depends on the number of operations you have to carry out, each one adding to the total time. So the more fetching, carrying, assembling, and adjusting you have to do, the longer it will all take.

I found that to get a telescope on a manual RA-powered EQ-5 and ready to use consistently took around 15 minutes.  (Tripod, spreader tray, counterweight, battery, OTA, accessories, rough align, fiddle fiddle) Getting an alt-az GoTo system ready to use can be quicker - it depends how practiced you are and how many actions you can eliminate.  Carrying a complete C8SE/mount/Starsense assembly out to a patio and getting it going takes only a few minutes.

But for grab'n go, carry out AZ-4, ignore the spreader-tray, attach OTA and uncover - very quick!

Imaging setups take longer - I have seen others quote 40 minutes, and to get my C8 ready for planetary imaging, elevated to cope with low planet/high fence, all imaging gear present and connected, camera focused using a star, takes half an hour.  One starts to see the attraction of that expensive home observatory, or leaving the mount in place.?

Thanks really helpful advice. Not sure I will have an observatory anytime soon. Unfortunately!! Still I would like to venture into the photography side at some point as I am a keen photographer. But astronomy is a completely new thing to me hence I think it's best to start a a reasonable level rather than jump straight in at the goto level. As much as I want to this seems more logical and it protects the £s in the short term anyway. I did start off big but reading and forums has convinced me to be more realistic. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big thank you to everyone for your opinions and advice. Can't believe how friendly and helpful everyone is.  I 'think' I am convinced to stick with the 130pds and az4 to learn the ropes. Both I believe are a very good starting point for a novice and even if I do quickly move upto a bigger scope and goto mount I still think the original az4 set up will get some use as the grab n go. I am just in the throws of reading yet another good beginners book by Mark Thompson. Clearly shows yet again I have a lot to learn but it also shows, I think, I have made a good choice of set up for a beginner and £s spent in the right places so I can have some fun. I probably will upgrade to the bigger 200pds and neq6 at some point down the road but at this point I can at least have some fun with scope and camera at a lunar level or other objects that don't need goto and long exposure etc. And also try and learn and find my way around that big place above our heads. Only a matter of time now until I make my purchase. Many many thanks again to you all for your advice and warm welcome you gave me.

Krs

On 10/09/2018 at 09:32, Anthonyexmouth said:

not difficult at all, its just a process you learn and will be a good skill to have. Yes setting up for photography can take a little longer but the benefits of starting with an EQ i think out weigh the learning curve. for visual use setup time is very quick. 

I totally agree with Anthony. It's just a process. Once you get use to it it a snap. When I first started it took a bit to set up and that was a small 4.5. scope. But once you figure out the process it's quick. I can set up now in 10 mins and be viewing. That includes the 8" newt, table, chair, accessories, ECT. Everything! 

• 2 weeks later...

Big thank you to everyone for your time, opinions, help and advice. I did a little more pondering and took the plunge with FLO which I am very happy with. It's like waiting for Xmas now. ? SW AZ4-2, BST EPs and SW 130PDS are on the way. Can't wait to get started to view what's up there. ? I think I have a good vfm set up to start my adventure. Thanks again.

A bit late to this party but I think you've made a good decision. I would always advise uncoupling visual from imaging astronomy. There are systems which can do both but how many people actually use them? I do both but, let me tell you, if someone suggests changing anything on my imaging rigs (the colour of one of the USB cables, for instance :D) I need to have a long sit down before quietly declining. WHen, if, you get an imaging system working sweetly you will not want to disturb it.

Olly

29 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

A bit late to this party but I think you've made a good decision. I would always advise uncoupling visual from imaging astronomy. There are systems which can do both but how many people actually use them? I do both but, let me tell you, if someone suggests changing anything on my imaging rigs (the colour of one of the USB cables, for instance :D) I need to have a long sit down before quietly declining. WHen, if, you get an imaging system working sweetly you will not want to disturb it.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I think it will be when rather than if ? been keen on photography for a long time so seems like a natural progression. Time will tell. Your words are indeed wise I have a similar attention to detail and despair if anyone moves anything I have set up in a particular way for a specific reason ? . So my plan is to enjoy visual first then maybe at some point move the 130 over to AP on a suitable guided mount heq5 or neq6 and then later again maybe upgrade to a bigger newt later down the line if all goes well. But one step at a time and then see where I end up. Hopefully not in tears ? Really can't wait to see The Moon if I'm honest always been fascinated by it. Everything else is just going to be a bonus ? so clearly I can't lose!

12 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Get a copy of "Making Every Photon Count", it will give you some advance advice for imaging to read when it's cloudy.    ??

Thanks Peter. Keep reading good things about that book. Will be next on my list for those cloudy nights. I like to read and at least try to learn to know what I should be doing. ?

Archived