SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Deer Lick Group and Stephan's quintet

Hi guys. 

Even though I am planning to add at least one more session to this, I decided to give it a quick stack and process to see how it comes out. I'm pretty pleased, apart from the fact that I have added one session shot with the "work in progress 10" quattro" which doesn't give me nice round stars across the fov.

The total exposure time is a bit over 9 hours shot with my 450D. Mainly 300sec exposures ISO800.

Do you think the a few more hours will help me bring a bit more detail in the Stephan's quintet?

LRM_EXPORT_1664169854750_20180910_021253243.thumb.jpeg.eb44bc115d3f258380add5e213bd394a.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Emil

Hi,

That's a really nice shot.

Could you post a jpg screenshot of an individual sub please? :)  I'm really pleased to see someone else with a DSLR is imaging this--I did some test shots a couple of nights ago and was a bit worried they will never make a good picture. ? I think the weather conditions may have been to blame though.

John

6 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

That's a really nice shot.

Could you post a jpg screenshot of an individual sub please? :)  I'm really pleased to see someone else with a DSLR is imaging this--I did some test shots a couple of nights ago and was a bit worried they will never make a good picture. ? I think the weather conditions may have been to blame though.

John

I posted a single sub on facebook a few nights ago. This is a phone screenshot of that sub as I'm not at home now.Screenshot_20180910-103954.thumb.png.97f33a93c719fd4f8288595cebf2c97e.png

14 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Nice!

I think that with more data you will be able to give more definition to the tidal tails in the quintet. Go for it!

To bad the light pollution doesn't let me go much above 300sec. Some longer subs would've helped a bit more.

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

That looks great ! Your guiding must be really good as you still have nice small round stars. Better than I could manage at 1000mm.

Thank you! I can't complain about the guiding. I'm using a lacerta mgen on this setup and it works great with my 9x50 finder-guider. There is a bit of tilt somewhere though as the stars on the bottom left of the photo are a bit elongated.

3 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Amazing image.

I don't know why but your image reminded me how much I miss imaging, often times clouds come around everytime I have a free night.

It is quite frustrating when you are fighting against the clouds. They seem to win most of the times but I love this hobby so much that I'm starting to get used to it. I managed now to automate my setups and even on a school night, if I know it will be clear and it's not going to rain, I leave them running on their own and wake up up with them nicely parked and with a night worth of images saved on my laptop. Now, the images can be good or bad, but what can you do? Having to wake up early in the morning to go to work doesn't give me the choice of staying up late during the week.

And having 2 setups is allowing me to image even if I have to test some things with one of them.

Archived