One hour on the trunk (IC 1396)

tooth_dr

The final data from our 4 clear night run last week.

Mansged just 6x600 luminance with the 383L+ mono and 6x600 with the 40d.

The more I processed it it either looked washed out or too much contrast. In the end my laptop battery was about to die so I picked a version I was happiest with. Some day I’ll learn to control the stars.

First one is both cameras data combined.

Second is a crop of mono data only.

I have a few hours on the trunk from before so I’ll see if I can work that into it at some stage.

Thanks again

Adam  

FB2F89FD-5B99-4B86-88F4-7191B275721E.jpeg

AE7CB0C0-4765-45DB-960B-A8E10033E190.jpeg

Hi Adam,

Very nice! I've had a lot of fun imaging this target over the last few months using my 135mm lens; it's one of my favourite IC's. I've not tried rgb but I have had a go with all three Nb filters.

Just one observation, have you noticed the strange artefact in the bottom left hand corner of the colour image, just to the right of the second bright star - there are three near parallel lines - like tram lines coming up from the bottom edge. They are only visible when you zoom in - which I did to have a close look at your stars.

173873234_Screenshot2018-09-0923_24_04.png.7e4efdff453cd3370be235a3da4d187e.png

I have very similar star problems when imaging with rgb which I don't get with Nb. Can I ask what scope you use with the 40D?

Adrian

7 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi Adam,

Very nice! I've had a lot of fun imaging this target over the last few months using my 135mm lens; it's one of my favourite IC's. I've not tried rgb but I have had a go with all three Nb filters.

Just one observation, have you noticed the strange artefact in the bottom left hand corner of the colour image, just to the right of the second bright star - there are three near parallel lines - like tram lines coming up from the bottom edge. They are only visible when you zoom in - which I did to have a close look at your stars.

173873234_Screenshot2018-09-0923_24_04.png.7e4efdff453cd3370be235a3da4d187e.png

I have very similar star problems when imaging with rgb which I don't get with Nb. Can I ask what scope you use with the 40D?

Adrian

Hi Adrian. I used ED80s for both cameras.   I noticed that artefact is in the mono image so I believe it’s likely a calibration issue with the CCD.

The star issue (in addition to my uncontrolled stretching of the data) is likely due to my LP filter. I’m using a CLS filter (non-CCD version) that I bought 10+ years ago. Coupled with my modded camera I wonder if too much IR light is getting through.

I think I will buy another Baader click lock system for the DSLR which is currently attached directly to the focuser and get decent a 2” LP filter. To be honest I don’t really need it where I’m at but it makes processing a bit easier and let’s me expose for longer. 

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

The star issue ... is likely due to my LP filter

I use a 2" IDAS UV/IR filter when using the 70D with the ED80 or WO-ZS71 and a Baader 2" when using the Atik cameras with my Samyang 135mm and I still get star issues! All a tad frustrating! The problem is always far more pronounced with rgb than with Nb.

Archived