Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Willieghillie88

Bright flashes from satellite

Hi all, 

My friend and I were outside last night looking at the sky and looking for satellites. We saw a few of what I assume were satellites (flat unblinking steadily moving lights) One of them which crossed the sky East to West emitted 2 incredibly bright and intense, very large flashes of pure white light, spaced maybe 2 minutes apart from each other. Neither of us have any more than a basic school knowledge of astronomy but are both interested. We wondered if anyone on here could help shed any light on the flashing satellite we saw?

Many thanks for your time.

Iain

Edited by Willieghillie88
Spelling mistake

Hi & welcome to SGL.

If you would state the time, approx location & the direction you were looking when you saw the object it would narrow it down a bit.

Also how long did it take to cross the sky, a few seconds? . . . a few minutes?           

Hi guys, thanks very much for your input.

We are in North East Scotland, it was about 11pm that we saw it. We were facing South but the light crossed the sky from East to West and was moving probably half as quickly or twice as fast again as the Iridium satellites in the video posted by Ruud.

Also, the ones in the video seem to be a more gradual increase and fading of light intensity. Whatever we saw was an instantaneous, incredibly intense flash, like an explosion of white light.

Yes, most likely Iridium flares, or another low earth orbit satellite catching the sun. They tend to build up to a maximum and then fade away over about ten seconds whilst moving across the sky steadily like a normal satellite. You can often see the satellite continuing on after the flare.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By freiform
      Plane & Satellite when setting up a allsky-cam. Dark-subtraction wasn't enabled yet.
    • By sulaco
      Last night I randomly woke at 3:15 and when ever I get up in the night i can't help but have a quick peek at the stars as the street lights are still off.
      I noticed Mars in the south but more bright than I've ever seen it, it really stood out.  I'm wondering if this extra bright appearance might have anything to do with the colossal dust storm playing out at the moment and the particulate reflecting more light in the atmosphere?
      Any thoughts.
      Campbell

• By ShrewView
      Hi all.
      I was out most of last night under a lovely clear sky and did a spot of basic imaging of a few Messiers. On looking at the images today there were plenty of satellite trails as always, and Stellarium helps me identify them mostly, but I'm having trouble identifying one, so any help or useful sources I can try would be appreciated.
      The area I was looking at was around M90 and in taking 20 or so one minute exposures I spotted a couple of trails. The first moving slowly took around 10 minutes to cross the width of the imaged area so appears on ten images and I can't find a match for this. The image below was taken at approx. 2.14am.
      The second trail moves fairly swiftly taking about 1.5 minutes to travel the length of the frame, so moving much faster and appears to be Cosmos 2476, taken at 2.23am. 
      Any ideas welcome.
      I've assumed its a satellite and not an asteroid or another one of those Teslas 

• By MikeODay
      Thor’s Helmet ( NGC 2359 ) 

( NGC 2359 - Thor’s Helmet )  ( please click / tap on image to see larger and without compression artefacts ( and double click on that image if you what to see it as I posted it ! ) )

Summary:
      An HDR image that captures as much of the faint detail in the nebula as I can whilst also attempting to show the “true” colours of the stars ( without burnt out highlights ).
      Nikon D5300 ( unmodified ), taken 18/19 Jan 2018, exposures ranging from 2s to 240s ( 116 x 240 sec + 5 each for other exposures )

Full details in main post :

• By MikeODay
      “The Blue Bunny Nebula” 
      Edit: 27 Jan 2018 - updated again to try to draw more faint nebulosity out of the background;

( NGC 2359 - Thor’s Helmet )  ( please click / tap on image to see larger and without compression artefacts ( and double click on that image if you what to see it as I posted it ! ) )
      Edit: 24 Jan 2018 - stars a little brighter and tighter with no change to the rest of the image

original:
      Thor's Helmet ( NGC 2359 ) in the constellation Canis Major 

Thor’s Helmet ( Duck Nebula, NGC 2359 ) ( please click / tap on image to see larger )
      This HDR image shows the bright nebula Thor’s Helmet in a sea of colourful stars against a background of red from dust and HA emissions.   The stars in this image range from the brightest ( bottom right, HD 56501 ) at magnitude +7.7 to around +20 or more.  HDR capture and processing allows all of the stars to be portrayed in colour without any burnt-out highlights.  The colours of the stars and nebula are as close as I can get them to their "true colours" by using a "daylight colour balance" and allowing for the extinction of blue-green due to atmospheric absorption/scattering ( mean altitude during capture ~ 60deg ).
      The blue star in the centre of the bubble of expanding stellar material is HD 56925 ( WR7 ) - a massive, unstable and short-lived Wolf-Rayet star that one day will detonate in a supernova.
      Image details:
      NGC 2359  Thor’s Helmet / Duck Nebula: Magnitude +11.5, RA (2000.0) 7h 15m 37s, Dec -13deg 12' 8", approx. 1800 light years away
      HD 56925 / Wolf-Rayet 7 ( WR7 ) ( blue 11.5 mag star at centre of “bubble” )
      Haffner 6 ( open ster cluster centre left of image )
      Plate Solution:
      Resolution ........ 1.318 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( North is up )
      Focal ............. 1398.41 mm
      Field of view ..... 57' 40.8" x 38' 29.0"
      Image center ...... RA: 07 18 36.509  Dec: -13 11 53.38
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 18 & 19 Jan 2018 )
      9 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      116 x 240s + 5 each @ 1s to 120s
      Processing ( Pixinsight - 20 Jan 18  )
      Calibration: master bias, master dark and master flat 
      Integration in 9 sets
      HDR combination 
      arcSinH stretch

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.