SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ETX 70 repair started

Kn4fty

As mentioned in another post. I recently aquired an old ETX 70 dirt cheap. I bought it mostly for the cc'd camera that was being sold with it. The ETX is missing the focuser rod and the EP holder. Haven't heard a thing back from Meade about replacement parts, so I'm going on without them.

Today I picked up a few things to start the repairs. I found a threaded 10-24 rod to replace the missing rod. I found a PVC bushing that can be modified to make the EP holder. I have the ring with the thumb screw that I'll be adding to the bushing once I have the bushing sized right. I've been experimenting with how far the EPs have to sit from the diagonal mirror to achieve focus with minimal adjustment. It appears an inch from the top of the scope will be the optimal distance. 

The "focuser nut" on the objective carriage was slightly boogered on one end so I took a tap and fixed it. The hole where the rod comes thru so the knob can be placed on it was too small for the 10-24. I drilled it out slightly for a good fit. The knob will also be drilled and tapped for the 10-24. A set screw will hold it in place. 

Unfortunately I forgot to get the two 10-24 nuts I am needing to make the rod stay in place on the inside. These will be tightened together and JB welded together on to the rod. I'm still looking for a small mirror to replace the one on the diagonal flip switch. This one has a scratch on it. Terrestrial test of the scope hasn't revealed the scratch affecting anything, but I doubt stellar views will be as forgiving.

Well that's the update on the ETX 70. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up the 10-24 nuts. The ETX is coming along slowly but surely. 

Rob

IMG_20180908_175928.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How easy is it to get the rear (eyepiece) unit off of these scopes ??

I seem to remember some obstacle to gaining access,  like rivets etc . .....maybe I've got that wrong... but it did no look 'straight-forward'.

There are 4 allen screws that hold the back on. They are a funky size that neither standard or metric wrenches don't quite fit. A metric allen wrench can be slightly filed to fit. They don't need to be removed how ever. Everything I'm fixing can be accessed from the outside or the objective side. 

On 08/09/2018 at 23:32, Kn4fty said:

As mentioned in another post. I recently aquired an old ETX 70 dirt cheap. I bought it mostly for the cc'd camera that was being sold with it. The ETX is missing the focuser rod and the EP holder. Haven't heard a thing back from Meade about replacement parts, so I'm going on without them.

Had a similar issue with obtaining spare parts from Meade several years ago before I 're-modded' my ETX105 after it was involved in an accident and damaged two of the three mounting points and cracked the length on one side of the rear (eyepiece) unit.

Basically told: "Sorry, we don't stock spare parts for the ETX range!"...the guy at Meade then hang-up. 

Below are photos of my 're-modded' ETX105 without the help from Meade...

small_IMG_0385.JPG..jpg.96b510aeac1ce230208486066271a09d.jpgPIC011.JPG.d44aaf7659477cb4cf6a80da07ee9215.JPGPIC012.JPG.3b3b2b4aaf9826a35f9fd23345ee7b76.JPG

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

Basically told: "Sorry, we don't stock spare parts for the ETX range!"...the guy at Meade then hang-up.

Meade will never climb out of the slums with that kind of customer service. It's sad, I remember when a Meade was the scope to have. My main scope is a Meade LX 70 R8. When I bought it, I thought Meade was finally back to old school since I have no complaints on that scope. Guess they haven't if their customers mean so little.

This is the focuser rod from the 10-25 rod. The two nuts are a stop towards the back of the scope. They are tightened against each other and also permanently attached with permanent thread locker. I ended up placing two another stop that prevents the rod from going into the objective carriage too far. 

I removed the rod again and cut it down. Since I could customize it, I made it a little longer soy fat fingers can use it easier. Two more nuts became an external stop. They ride against a nylon washer. Till I can drill and tap the knob, made a temporary one with three nuts and a cap nut tightened against each other. The focuser now works smoothly. The next step will be making a new EP holder. 

IMG_20180909_202359.jpg

On 09/09/2018 at 14:44, Philip R said:

I finally got a response from Meade. They told me the same thing, but much more politely. They also said the ETX 70 was never intended for service or repair. At least they replied.

9 hours ago, Kn4fty said:

I finally got a response from Meade. They told me the same thing, but much more politely. They also said the ETX 70 was never intended for service or repair. At least they replied.

Bit like my Daughter's Beats headphones. They lasted nine months before they wouldn't switch on, returned to Apple for 'repair' and an immaculate  new set came by return of post.

I have sent my ancient watch to Animal for a new movement - hardly a Rolex - but I know it will be the same case that comes back, which matters to me ?

• 1 month later...

I finally got back to working on the scope. Tonight I cut down the PVC to make the EP holder. I then attached a ring with a thumb screw. I temporarily attached it all to the scope with black tape. I didn't want to attach permanent yet until I knew I had the holder the right height. I just took it out for first light to test it. WOW! I'm impressed! It's the right height and the views thru the lil scope were awesome! The alignment seems to be off but I'm not too worried about that. I'll figure it out. It appears I have my travel scope now. It'll be going on vacation with me next week.

Rob

Archived