Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Universe in a box....

Stu

Lovely report and a really lovely looking scope- it looks like a fabulous piece of design.

For comparison I have an Orion USA 14inch and it weighs 71kg- not quite as portable! 

I do believe that 14 inches is a sweet spot for a good sized instrument that can still go through doors, be used without going on tiptoes/ladders etc, but still deliver mind blowing views. I'm going to be at Lucksall and really have everything crossed for some clear skies to see what it can do away from suburbia.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Lovely report and a really lovely looking scope- it looks like a fabulous piece of design.

For comparison I have an Orion USA 14inch and it weighs 71kg- not quite as portable! 

I do believe that 14 inches is a sweet spot for a good sized instrument that can still go through doors, be used without going on tiptoes/ladders etc, but still deliver mind blowing views. I'm going to be at Lucksall and really have everything crossed for some clear skies to see what it can do away from suburbia.

Thanks Bob. Crikey, that is some weight difference isn’t it?

You can really tell that the Alkaid is ultraportable and has been on a severe diet! Great piece of design.

Look forward to seeing you in Lucksall.

• 2 months later...

Last night I finally sorted the collimation adjustment out on the dob. It was very stiff, almost impossible to turn. Sumerian had said it was just that two locking nuts had got over tightened,  and that proved to be the case. Having loosened them buy half a turn, all is well,  with easy adjustment possible.  Will need a big adjustment now having fiddled with it but should be no problem. 

Whilst at it,  I also made up a washer from a plastic milk bottle to help the secondary adjustment,  having previously rounded off the adjustment bolt ends which helped quite a bit. Turning the bolts had been causing the secondary to rotate which was annoying,  sorted now though. 

Just need some clear sky now!!!

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Have you had a chance to give this scope a go at a decent sky? I’m curious about it, I won’t be buying one since I just bought a dob, Just curious though.

Unfortunately not ?, weather and lack of time have meant I've not used it much since that report. Hopefully we will get back to Bignor in December or Jan. Will report back if we do.

Archived