M38, NGC1907 and Mr Smiley 21 Oct

jgs001

This is the stack of 25x60 seconds from last nights run on M38. I stopped after only 25 subs as the objective had dewed up again. Given that I cleared it before starting this run, and this was only 30 minutes later I decided enough was enough. It took all the gear an hour to dry out.

Anyway enough of that... Here's the image. I could be wrong and probably am, but is that a patch of red neb in the lower right, just under Mr Smiley's mouth ?

m38.jpg

Cheers Mark. Gonna have to go back and get a load more subs on this one.... Looks like there's a lot in there to be captured... Looks like I just missed M36 too... Maybe piggy back the camera and use a normal lens for a wider FOV... hmmmm.

Could be, bear in mind Dean that I'm tracking in AltAz so my exposure times are limited anyway. And this was only 25x60 seconds and I got some in there. I'm gonna go grab me 100 or so 60 second frames and see what comes out. (these timer remotes are wonderful things :):D ).

All depends what your FOV is John, you might just manage M36 as well, although getting more of IC417 in the image might be a different matter........

I have the same problem getting some targets in the FOV, if you look at my M31 from last night, M110 is missing, i would have to move M31 to the bottom of the image to capture M110 as well......

I think you are doing a fine job to get the length of subs you are doing just using Alt/Az, i know with my other mount im lucky to get 15secs.....

Mark

I'm using an ST80 clone scope. Not sure I could get M36 in and keep Mr Smiley intact... Maybe using the 55-250 lens, but then I won't have the CLS filter...

Thanks Mark. I'm able to get up to 120s subs, but I end up losing 50% of them to tracking errors in the drive train, so tend not to go that high. At 60s, I might lose between 5 and 10% to tracking errors, so I get a better hit rate and possible a longer total exposure.

Cheers Dean, Just figured it was worth a try and it's what I got and it's working well. The best news is I paid peanuts for the mount on ebay and got a 60mm frac thrown in (don't use that though). I don't want to know what you're spreading marg on timer remotes for :)

Thanks Martin. Cheers Sam. Thanks Billy. I'm of the firm belief that if I don't try I've got no hope. The worst that can happen with trying is that it doesn't work, push the gear and see what happens :). This is another one I'm going to go back and grab a shedload more data.

Archived