Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M27 widefield

steviemac500

This proved to be trickier than I thought - I wanted to combine the NB with RGB to give a nice starfield.  Processing was hard on stretching it kept getting blown out so I instead added the O3 and Ha data to the RGB version in the corresponding red, green and blue channels. This has resulted in a loss of some of the blueness that you might normally expect but I have managed to bring back some of the detail so maybe a happy medium. I'm pleased with the stars. Again, combining RGB with 2 lots of NB isn't as easy as it sounds. I ended up removing the stars from the NB version using an action in PS and pasting the RGB on top before adding the layers to enhance the final image. There must be an easier way......... comments welcomed as always.

https://astrob.in/365429/0/

V1resize.png

7 hours ago, steviemac500 said:

This proved to be trickier than I thought - I wanted to combine the NB with RGB to give a nice starfield.  Processing was hard on stretching it kept getting blown out so I instead added the O3 and Ha data to the RGB version in the corresponding red, green and blue channels. This has resulted in a loss of some of the blueness that you might normally expect but I have managed to bring back some of the detail so maybe a happy medium. I'm pleased with the stars. Again, combining RGB with 2 lots of NB isn't as easy as it sounds. I ended up removing the stars from the NB version using an action in PS and pasting the RGB on top before adding the layers to enhance the final image. There must be an easier way......... comments welcomed as always.

https://astrob.in/365429/0/

Hi Stevie,

I agree the stars came out nicely, and you also have much detail in the nebula so that is good result. If anything, I maybe would have another try with the background that looks a little overstretched+denoise´d to me. Just take a not-so-stretched version, then paste this one on top and make the top layer blend mode = lighten. You may need to adjust levels on the top layer as well as opacity (and mask away the nebula).

Regarding Ha OIII technique, I have used this tutorial with success.

Ragnar

Archived