SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

hello! yesterday i got my telescope, BRESSER solarix 76/350! :D

so yesterday i went outside around 9pm, I spotted Mars in the night sky very easily, I tried to aim my telescope towards it but... after like 10minutes, I still couldn't aim it ( I did choosed the ocular that had 40mm, biggest one I have ), then I gave up and decided to observe the core of the Andromeda Galaxy because it's way easier to aim at because of it's huge size..

Then huge clouds were coming and I decided to go back home with my telescope..

I did some research and there is a tool named "finderscope", but the problem is that my telescope doesnt have a rail or something that I can put a finderscope to, and im just asking if there is like a univseral finderscope or a finderscope that doesnt require to drill holes for screws, the only thing I observed yesterday was the sun( with my sun filter, I was pretty satisfied for a first time ) and the faint core of the Andromeda Galaxy/m31..

thanks for helping me!

bresser solarix.jpg

3 minutes ago, Craney said:

I think there is a piece of kit called a TelRad   ( a version of the red-dot finder type) which can be stuck to the tube using an adhesive strip.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

(read the reviews)

thank you alot for your help! but im scared of one thing, what if i dont align it properly without noticing it, like its poiting a little bit to the left or right for like a milimeter, can it be fixed?

Hi @Waiffle and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Telrad s have a long 'footprint', but if you are looking for something with a smaller 'footprint' then there is the Rigel QuickFinder. Same principle, but instead of lying horizontal, they stand vertical. Not owning either type, I think they have adjustment in alt/az to line up with the OTA. There are other RDF's available, but they may require to be screwed down to attach to the OTA and you said you are looking for something, quote: "...that doesnt require to drill holes for screws..." - other fixing ideas may be cable ties or self-adhesive velcro.

I would definitely go for a Rigel over a Telrad on that size of scope. Whatever finder you get make sure it is one with a quick release plate/finder shoe (both the above are fine) as you will need to remove the finder when using the telescope for solar. I bought a second hand Telrad that had clearly been left out in the sun and the reticle had burnt through. 

I know you don't want to drill the tube, but if you want a proper finder the neatest job would be a Synta red-dot finder (as used on Celestron and Sky-watcher scopes) with a Synta quick-release shoe screwed to the tube with a couple of self-tapping screws..  Cheap. 

Alternatively, make up a rifle sight style open finder (no optics) and tape it to the tube. Design your own- it just needs to have a marker at the front and back.

You couldn't find Mars? Maybe it was in the field of view and you didn't recognise it. If you could find M31 (well done!) you can't be having much trouble aiming. Mars should look like a red dot or star.

10 hours ago, Waiffle said:

......... im scared of one thing, what if i dont align it properly without noticing it, like its poiting a little bit to the left or right for like a milimeter, can it be fixed?

If your fixing a TELRAD, get it as straight as you can, a mm out will not matter. The sighting reticule image can be  adjusted, by operating the three adjuster screws on the rear end of the unit.

The Rigel comes with 2 bases to fit different tube diameters although it's not that critical. The supplied adhesive pads are very sticky and the base sits firmly in the chosen position. The finder section then clips into the base and can be just  as easily unclipped if so required. Like most red dot finders only rough alignment of the base is required as the individual adjusters do the rest. The bullseye reticule is much better to use than the single dot of the RDFs that come with many scopes. The Rigel has a much smaller footprint than the Telrad but it does stand taller.

9 hours ago, Charic said:

If your fixing a TELRAD, get it as straight as you can, a mm out will not matter. The sighting reticule image can be  adjusted, by operating the three adjuster screws on the rear end of the unit.

thanks!

14 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I would definitely go for a Rigel over a Telrad on that size of scope. Whatever finder you get make sure it is one with a quick release plate/finder shoe (both the above are fine) as you will need to remove the finder when using the telescope for solar. I bought a second hand Telrad that had clearly been left out in the sun and the reticle had burnt through. 

okay i'll think about it ^^

9 hours ago, Charic said:

what about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-51630-Pointer-Telescope-Finderscope/dp/B00009X3UU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_421_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HPRS9NN4XDG3KZ75NF02

50 minutes ago, Waiffle said:

This is very similar/same to the basic skywatcher item but in the picture it doesn't have the small pedestal type mount that it locates on. You could get one of the skywatcher type simple RDFs with the base that has the two screw holes and use sticky pads to mount it. Have a look on "astroboot" where there is usually a selection of RDFs. Postage costs can sometimes be an issue but something so small shouldn't be too bad.

1 hour ago, Waiffle said:

Having never used that  particular finder, I can't give a true reflection, that said, at only £15, it's not going to break the bank, but as Alfian mentions there are others.
I've only experienced two finders, the supplied 9x50 on my Skyliner, which when focused correctly and aligned to the scope works perfectly well for my needs.
Note, when  viewing through the finder scope using my right eye, I learnt from this site to also keep my left eye open!  This  might seem weird at first, two images, one magnified, the other not, but they quickly align, from experience, and it it works for me.

The other finder is the TELRAD, and I'm on my third one to-date? I still have the issue of needing my prescription glasses in order to sharpen the reticules, but it works just fine for the purpose intended, although for some folk, the design is a bit too large.
I still think the device would better suit fixing to a refractor telescope, used like a forward gunsight. You need to have a little distance behind the TELRAD in order to use the device, its not a case of having your eye right up to the device. I would easily  mount a TELRAD if I owned a refractor.

2 hours ago, Waiffle said:

I have one of these, it’s ok but as Alfian says, I don’t think the one in the picture has a base that would allow you to fit it to your scope.

As already mentioned, I would go for a Rigel. Easy to attach and adjust, clips to and unclips from the base when you want to observe the sun or pack it away, and the red sighting circles allow you to easily centre your target.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

I think I have found another solution at least in part. On Astroboot, filtered down to finders, there is a near the bottom of the page a universal RDF bracket, (at £2.30!) that with its adhesive pads should give the ability to mount most of the simple red dot finders, which opens up the choice a little. See link:

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot/telescope-and-astronomy-stuff.html?needle=finder

2 hours ago, Alfian said:

I think I have found another solution at least in part. On Astroboot, filtered down to finders, there is a near the bottom of the page a universal RDF bracket, (at £2.30!) that with its adhesive pads should give the ability to mount most of the simple red dot finders, which opens up the choice a little. See link:

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot/telescope-and-astronomy-stuff.html?needle=finder

i apreciate your help, but does that work with all red dot finder? including this one https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-51630-Pointer-Telescope-Finderscope/dp/B00009X3UU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_421_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HPRS9NN4XDG3KZ75NF02 ?

im still a teenagers and i have pocket money soo im trying to get away with 10$ each month 

Re red dot finders, there is an explanation in the ad for the 51630 if you scroll down. Beyond that, you just have to see one in action. ?

Actually, with its short focal length of 350mm (?) your telescope should be low-powered enough to act as its own finder if you use a low-powered eyepiece.  That's probably why none is provided. If you have a 40mm fl eyepiece, that would give a magnification of x9.  One of my optical finders is x9 (a 9x50).

Alternatively, make a gunsight-style aiming device yourself and tape it to the scope. Neither suggestion will cost you any money.

6 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Re red dot finders, there is an explanation in the ad for the 51630 if you scroll down. Beyond that, you just have to see one in action. ?

Actually, with its short focal length of 350mm (?) your telescope should be low-powered enough to act as its own finder if you use a low-powered eyepiece.  That's probably why none is provided. If you have a 40mm fl eyepiece, that would give a magnification of x9.  One of my optical finders is x9 (a 9x50).

Alternatively, make a gunsight-style aiming device yourself and tape it to the scope. Neither suggestion will cost you any money.

oh thank you! and actually i just thought about not having a finderscope yet because of my small telescope, i will try to get into finders when ill have better telescopes in the future, thank you anyway! and i just learned a "technique" of aiming by using it yesterday soo i dont really need one anymore, ill just worry bout finders in teh future with better scopes, thank you for helping me and sorry for wasting your time..

5 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

If you have a 40mm fl eyepiece, that would give a magnification of x9. 

If you have a 40mm EP  its worth a go but it will give an 8+ exit pupil which may well work for young eyes and a dark sky but in most situations is impractical and you will likely see the shadow of the secondary in the eyepiece. That said something like a 25mm 60 degree eyepiece would give 14x, a more useful exit pupil and over 4 degrees field of view and would act as a finder eyepiece.

Archived