SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 - The story so far

LostNSpace

Hi All

Andromeda is turning into a tough target for me, i wanted to capture 2 to 3 hours worth of data tonight whilst it was still clear, but was late going out and by the time i had set up it was already starting to cloud up, instead of getting a couple of hours worth of subs i only ended up with 20 x 1 minute subs......

Definately not enough subs to show any detail once stacked and processed, learnt that much from all my previously failed attempts at M31......

Unlike my prevous failures on other targets that have found the recycle bin, i decided to keep all the subs for M31 as you can tell that there is detail in there even though a lot more subs are needed.......

The result so far is a combination of 30 to 60 second subs taken at ISO800, and 60 second subs taken at ISO 1600 all with dark frames.....I did have some 120 sec subs to throw into the mix as well but the core was so burnt out on these i ended up not using them......I have a total of 1 hours worth of data upto now......Another couple of hours worth and i will hopefully start getting somewhere.....

9641_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It would be nice to be able to get M110 in the image as well but i dont think its ideal imaging Andromeda through a 10" scope as the FOV is smaller.......Ive noticed that when trying a few targets now, like trying to image Pleaides, the seven sisters become 6....Praesepe and the coathanger are just a couple of others ive struggled with......

Hopefully this side of xmas the weather will be kind enough allowing me to grab some more data on M31 and i maybe able to put this target to bed before the years out.........

Im quite pleased with the result so far, even if a lot of the stars in the image are a little bloated......If my final result ends up half as good as some of the M31`s on here i`d be as pleased as punch.......

Anyways, thanks for looking......Watch this space so they say.......

Mark

Hi LIS! What I do is to take a variety of exposure lengths. With my own reasonable successful go recently I've gone up to about 10-15 minutes (guided of course) although it depends on your skies - yours looks pretty un light polluted to me. Its amazing what you can then achieve with curves in photoshop. Even with really long exposures you shouldn't get too severe burn out but depending on the core detail you want, definitely take different lengths and stack them.

Thanks Dean

Next time i get chance to get out i will have to spend more time setting up, last night was a little hurried because i knew i would only have a small window of opportunity with the weather set to turn, i could only stretch to 60 sec subs last night whereas the night before managed 2 mins......Ive combined 90% of the data captured on M31 over the last few times i have been out imaging it, and the image is slowly improving, more of the dust lanes showing up, i will still have to learn how to process the image properly though.....

LP is a problem where i live too, especially when they have the floodlights on at the local football club so thats not helping really.....

Mark

Hi Mark ,infact your Galaxy is pretty good ,, dont worry to much on exposure time ,i can go to 7 mins before the core kinda get hot , the thing with M31 is all in the processing and getting that right amount of data, when i process, to start the core is Huge , i bring this down by digital development processing DDP, THIS WAY THE CORE CAN BE BOUGHT TO A PIN POINT , then a bit of stretching, to inlarge it slightly , followed by lasso the core, and use PS Gaussin Blur, this softens the expanded core , but its how you like it really , what does look awful is a core that is hard with a pronounced edge to it .

all practise Mark.

Rog

Archived