Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

This is the right place to put this isn't it? Imaging - planets (including dwarves)

Captured over 2 nights at Slooh's observatory on El Teide, it would have been 3 but wind scuppered the middle night.

Pluto-04-09-and-06-09.thumb.gif.bb7797b59fff556154966f19d5aea728.gif

• Like 21

great shot! 

Are those KBO's that I see moving on about the same axis as Pluto?

There's one midway between Pluto and the upper right-hand corner (1:00), and another nearer the top left corner. 

• Like 3

That is a great capture John, no wonder it is hard to spot!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Subdeo said:

great shot! 

There's one midway between Pluto and the upper right-hand corner (1:00), and another nearer the top left corner. 

Well spotted! Would be good to know what they are.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well spotted! Would be good to know what they are.

Let me run it through astrometrica and see if I can work it out. 

• Like 1

Take your steenky KBOs, this topic ees for proper planets only! ?

But seriously, that's an interesting image. Those two other dots look as clear as Pluto! One seems to be moving rather faster - large orbit asteroid?

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Take your steenky KBOs, this topic ees for proper planets only! ?

But seriously, that's an interesting image. Those two other dots look as clear as Pluto! One seems to be moving rather faster - large orbit asteroid?

That's what I was thinking. However Astrometrica doesn't seem to want to solve the images so I am unable to confirm it until I fix that.

On 09/09/2018 at 20:06, Subdeo said:

great shot! 

Astrometrica didn't match them to any known objects in the MPC database. So I don't think it's an asteroid.

• Like 1

Nemesis!

Both in quite signifcantly inclined orbits.

I would say worth getting a professional opinion. I doubt that KBOs that large would be unknown, but it's always a possibility they are something new, or perhaps useful extra data points for poorly known objects.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amazing!!..intrigued to see if any answers come out of this..I've been totally transfixed on those little dots...?

• Like 1

That's very interesting!

Congratulations. I imagine discovering Pluto like this must have been enormously rewarding! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ruud said:

That's very interesting!

Congratulations. I imagine discovering Pluto like this must have been enormously rewarding! 

Nowhere near as rewarding as it was for Mr Tombaugh, I had software to do the blinking for me and knew where to point the telescope :) But yes, it is very satisfying.

• Like 1

Found this image fascinating, did you ever find out what the two large objects were? Haven't logged in to SGL for about 12 months but I just needed to know ;)

20 hours ago, jimbo747 said:

did you ever find out what the two large objects were? 

Sadly not, I think I'd need more data to ID them with confidence, which sadly I didn't capture.

No minor planets brighter than mag 17 within half a degree of Pluto at that time, according to MP Checker. Strange one.

That would bug me not knowing ;)

I wonder if you could extrapolate their paths based on their orbit. Do KBO all move at the same velocity?

There's actually a 3rd object, much fainter directly in line with Plutos path between the top left object and Pluto itself.