Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
lux eterna

Backlash Killer

Hi all,

Pretty often I read about people having issues that may be related to backlash in DEC or RA, and I would like to offer a very simple and effective cure for it. I have done it on my HEQ5 Pro but surely it can be modified for any mount that needs it. With this simple fix, I can live with a rather big backlash (with no risk for binding in freezing temperatures).

For DEC, I always balance carefully (neither front nor back heavy). Then I stretch the coil spring until it has a small impact on the DEC balance (and later in the evening I eventually forget about loosening it when I slew away... so you will need some replacement springs. It took maybe 10+ of such mistakes until I stopped forgetting...). The bracket is only attached with double sided tape (on three sides), but the black maintenance plug (not original) also supports it.

7.jpg.3473f7ff17b51002432e4c00e61e12c2.jpg

RA is usually OK with just the standard method "East Heavy", but occationally the scope is poing due west or east (counterweights pointing north) and then there is no "East Heavy" impact. That is when I use this:

6.thumb.jpg.2eaf27d5d5f83e6d668cfb6262a5d53f.jpg

It´s a little hard to see in the pictures, but I get a momentum in RA (in reverse to tracking direction) when I tighten the string. Now, I happen to have the Rowan belt mod which includes a thick nylon spacer inside the gear cover, and that is a good thing here because it adds to the momentum. I usually hook it up an hour or two before the CW bar points due north. Then when it has well past north I will stop the camera, remove the backlash killer and re-adjust "East Heavy".

EDIT:  (Sorry, English is my second language...)  Should be a torque, not momentum.

Ragnar

Edited by lux eterna
Language issue
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeGH
      Hello,
      I have a 4 year old Skywatcher NEQ6 mount that I control with a Synscan hand controller.  Recently I have had trouble with the goto command not slewing to and finding the targets despite properly following polar alignment with polar scope followed by 2 or 3 star alignment.  I have eliminated cone error, so do not think this is the cause.  The RA and DEC motors run smoothly with not much noise.  In attempting to understand the cause I noticed that if via the hand controller I slew the telescope by 12 hours in RA; the setting circle indicates that the telescope has slewed by 12 hours 20 minutes, which I can imagine could be a possible cause.
      Does anyone know if it is possible to perform some sort of re-calibration of the Synscan hand controller to adjust the slewing so that it corresponds with the actual physical movement around the RA axis.  I cannot see anywhere how to do this or why it may be out of calibration.
      Thanks very much for any advice.
      Regards,
      Mike (SW France, equipped with Celestron C11)

• By JemC
      In the famous words of Bilbao Baggins, I'm going on an adventure!
      Almost 2 years ago i got rid of my old shed with the intention of replacing it with a R O R shed, 
      Well a lot has happened since then, but no R O R shed 😞 No way i could build one, my DIY skills are rubbish.
      My mount and scope plus other bits have sat in the garage ever since, mainly because it's such a pain to drag everything out and set up only to be thwarted by cloud/rain, so i decided that they would stay in the garage until the arrival of R O R shed,
      so fast forward 2 years.....
      Well! while browsing some astro sites i happened across an advertisement which said something like wooden observatory for sale, 7ft x 7.5ft, buyer to dismantle and remove, so me being in need of one had a look at the pictures he posted, that will do nicely i thought, so i contacted the seller and asked for more info and pictures,
      It's not a roof that rolls off onto supports, it turns out 1/2 of the roof rolls over the other 1/2 with a front section of the shed that drops down,
      I was happy with what i received from the seller, he couldn't have been more helpful and seems a really nice bloke, 
      Right then, where are you located mate i asked, 
      Bovey Tracey he replied,
      to be honest, i had never heard of it, so time to consult google maps..
      Well it turns out it's only about 270 miles one way from my house in Lancashire 😞 (so round trip of approx 540 miles)
      Time to make a decision, do the positives outweigh the negatives, is it going to be a cost effective solution in getting my R O R shed ? 
      after doing some calculations and a little more contact with the seller, the answer to the 2 questions above is YES  😁
      I have hired a box van for this coming Saturday,shangied my brother in law to accompany me and..
      I'm going on an adventure to Bovey Tracy to dismantle it and give it a new home in sunny Lancashire,
      even though my DIY skills are rubbish i feel i have to give this a go,
      All in with the cost of The Obsey (as it is now known until i can think of something better) and with the hire van/fuel and brother in laws dinner
      it's going to set me back approximately £570 and a day out, I'm well chuffed with that, the cheapest quote i had to have one built was £1000
      I have a couple of pictures of the obsey in it's current location if anyone would like to see them,
      Sorry to waffle on so long,
      Thanks for reading
      JemC
    • By chris_33
      I am going to upgrade to the skywatcher 250/1200 pds telescope and i can't decide which mount i should get.
      The main (only) purpose is astrophtography and i am considering either the eq6-r- pro or the cem60
      The cem60 can carry more weight but is also more expensive, my inner debate now is about if it is worth it
      What's you take on it?
    • By Kronos831
      Hey guys! Its me again... I know what you are thinking 😛 there is not such thing as a cheap mount for astrophotography...and i agree with you! I just want to know if there are any significantly cheap mounts (under 100 pounds)  for my skywatcher heritage 130p that can give me maybe 15-30 sec exposure time max. Thanks
      Kronos
    • By Leon-Fleet
      I'm looking at upgrading my manfrotto tripod to  something far sturdier and taller.
      I'm 6f3" so ideally having a tall tripod makes life easier as long as it doesn't get blown about by the wind. 
      I've heard the eq6 is a good shout but perhaps a little on the short side, but or the manfrotto 055 potentially still wobbly, or vixen porta ii. 
      I'd like to spend less than £60, but is that realistic? 
      What do you use or recommend? 
      Thanks 
      Leon 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.