Narrowband

Heads up " Sky at Night " Sunday

Timebandit

The Sky at Night , Sunday evening at 10 on BBC Four

Expedition Asteroid

A look into one of the most difficult feats of space exploration, as the US and Japanese try to bring a piece of an asteroid back to Earth

Hope you enjoy ☺

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Here is a reminder for yourself Dave and all the other SGL members. On this evening gents and ladies ?

Thanks for that I hadn't actually realised it was Sunday yet :grin:

Dave

On 06/09/2018 at 19:28, Timebandit said:

The Sky at Night , Sunday evening at 10 on BBC Four

Expedition Asteroid

A look into one of the most difficult feats of space exploration, as the US and Japanese try to bring a piece of an asteroid back to Earth

Hope you enjoy ☺

Thanks for the reminder, I'd have missed it otherwise :) 

Jim 

Maggie is one heck of an inspiring woman, when you consider the obstcles she has had to overcome to get where she is.

And remember, she not some random presenter, she's "one of us", even grinding her own mirror, and no, I don't give a damn what its Strehl was, doing it gets kudos from me.

Set to record tonight on the skybox wouldn't miss an episode. Another thumbs up for Maggie a brilliant woman. And she is so attentive when listening to guests well not guests but professional astronomers/scientists on the show. Yes to an hour long show, half an hour and wanting more.....

Have to admit that Chris and Maggie don’t do it for me. I’ve only watched a couple of S@N’s since Patrick’s demise and didn’t really like them, maybe they have improved now?. I suppose like a lot of us I much preferred Patrick’s programmes and the way they seemed to deal with Astronomy more from an amateurs point of view. No I’m not a Philistine and I do understand the attraction and interest of the latest and greatest discoveries but at least IM(very)HO they don’t compare to Patrick’s visits to other amateurs observatories. I subscribe to Martin Mobberly’s excellent YouTube channel and have just rewatched an old S@N episode from Ron Arbour’s house discussing Ron’s equipment and his images of the last Halley’s Comet return , excellent stuff ?.

Steve

Chris Lintott was a guest speaker at the North West Astronomy Festival this year (he tries to make it if his schedule allows). He was explaining how the aim is to make a topical programme, which often means tackling a subject with only a month or less to plan and shoot. 

I appreciate that people would want it to be more about the hobby aspect of Astronomy, but I don't think there's the audience for that sort of programme; whereas there's a lot more interest in the science of Astronomy and space missions.  

Archived