Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommended Materials for Newt End Caps

SnakeyJ

I want to make up new end caps for both of my OO Newts (replacing the thin/brittle and not terribly useful thermoplastic ones supplied by OO).        I was thinking of wrapping and laminating some kitchen laminate edging strip to get a close fit around the end of the tube, with some DC Fix flocking to help with 'stiction' and prevent wear damage, and perhaps some 2mm aluminium sheet for the round.    I'm more concerned about fit/durability than aesthetics, but could pretty the whole thing up by flocking internally and perhaps spray or wrap the outside.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions on better materials/method for end caps?

9 hours ago, JamesF said:

I made two for my 10" flextube dob from the lids of paint tubs glued to a disc of 3mm ply with a wooden drawer knob fixed in the middle for a handle.

James

Ah now the ply is an excellent suggestion and I like the idea of the drawer knob as a handle, perhaps if I steam it I can also bend it around the radius of the OTA - it will certainly be cheap, easy to cut and should bond well with Gorilla glue - I will knock up a steam box/bag and have a quick play.

My 10" dob came with a holey nylon circle with soggy elastic around the outside.

I used my best needlework skills (my Nan was a seamstress) and made a heavy duty replacement out of very thick waterproof nylon from a luxury dog-bed that turned out not to be labrador proof.

I should say I do have soft shower cap type covers for both - proper astrotech ones, but the elastic fails over time and they invariably fall off.   Very good for keeping dust off while allowing the damp flocking to dry out though.    

On 06/09/2018 at 09:34, Alien 13 said:

When I had a Newt many years ago I found that a shower cap on each end worked the best but doesn't offer much mechanical protection from falling objects etc.

Alan

Can't go wrong with a shower cap... 2 for a quid at asda :D

IMG_20180910_203629_zpsvexybpdp.jpg

Archived