Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A couple of late planets - 2xMars + Saturn

geoflewis

Hi all,

Today I got round to processing the data that I captured last week end. The seeing was poor on both nights, so I wasn't expecting much, but despite some edge artefacts, Mars on 1 September came out not too bad. I had more hazy cloud at the horozon on 2 Septemeber, but did get an almost complete run on Saturn, before imaging Mars again, which shows a slightly different phase than the previous night.

Mars_2018Sept01_21009_gdbl_rgb.jpg.91fa6ec8acb1f88736c554a8853bcfb3.jpgMars_2018Sept02_20529_gdbl_rgb.jpg.820a2308b4244c967cf50dea84929545.jpgSaturn_2018Sept02_19430_gdbl_rgb.jpg.8b2f0389becf497cb5415931d9fe61b7.jpg

I'll be off to Kelling for the star party next week and expect to be switching to DSO work after I get back home, so these are likely my last planetary images of 2018.

Cheers, Geof

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice shots Geof, some decent detail coming through on Mars which is impressive given the dust storm.

Have fun at Kelling :) 

Thanks Stu,

Yes, it's good to see some detail on Mars at last, which was mostly captured with the IR filter and applied as a luminence to the RGB. It's very tricky imaging down in the murk at 11-12 degrees altitude, with Saturn also only at 15 degrees and both planets now well past their respective oppositions. It's all good practice though; learning to tease out detail from poor data should pay dividends for those nights when better seeing and higher altiitude is available.

Cheers, Geof

Thanks Pete,

I got the C14 a couple of years ago specifically for planetary work, but it wouldn’t hold collimation very well, so I got Es Read to give it an overhaul last summer and haven’t looked back since. It’s also proved useful for imaging small DSO like globs, PNs and galaxies, so that’s been a great bonus.

Cheers, Geof

Archived