Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

I recently tried imaging M7 with my 6" f/4 Newtonian. I had earlier commimated it with a Cheshire and Howie Glatter and was sure of the collimation. However, when I imaged using my DSLR with the coma corrector installed, I get focused stars off centre and not on the optical axis. Anyone experience anything similar before? What could this be? Tilt in the optical train? The focuser was drawn out only about 5mm to reach focus along with a 50mm extension tube. Any suggestion is welcome.

M7Offcentered coma.jpg

Coma doesn't seem to be fully corrected either. Just a suggestion -the GSO CC spec I found online says 75mm spacing - I understand from the top of the CC lens to the camera focal plane. Is this how it is installed?

19 hours ago, bobro said:

Coma doesn't seem to be fully corrected either. Just a suggestion -the GSO CC spec I found online says 75mm spacing - I understand from the top of the CC lens to the camera focal plane. Is this how it is installed?

Yes, to achieve the 75mm spacing, I have done the following.

1) 44mm from Canon DSLR flange to sensor

2) 11mm T-Ring

3) 20mm T-Thread extension rings.

I am assuming the coma corrector is slightly tilted. I have to verify it through tests.

On 06/09/2018 at 14:00, astrosathya said:

Yes, to achieve the 75mm spacing, I have done the following.

1) 44mm from Canon DSLR flange to sensor

2) 11mm T-Ring

3) 20mm T-Thread extension rings.

I am assuming the coma corrector is slightly tilted. I have to verify it through tests.

I'm having the same issue. Did you figure it out?

Edited by Anthony RS

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:30, Anthony RS said:

I'm having the same issue. Did you figure it out?

not yet, skies are very cloudy

On 30/09/2018 at 14:43, astrosathya said:

not yet, skies are very cloudy

Ok, would appreciate if you let me know if you've figured it out. I'm not sure also if it's due to spacing or some tilt.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cosmic Geoff
      With reluctance I am looking to sell my 200mm aperture f5 Helios Newtonian OTA. (Helios is a brand that became incorporated into Skywatcher - this closely resembles Skywatcher OTAs)
      The Helios is offered with single speed rack & pinion focuser, tube rings, 22 to 1.25" adaptor, dovetail bar and grab handle for £90 o.n.o.  In good condition except that the dovetail bar appears to be discoloured by exposure to sunlight.
      I have not used the telescope for many months and with a persistent problem in my right arm my enthusiasm for moving heavy kit around has diminished.
      Buyer to collect from North Bucks.
      Offered as option with the OTA: EQ5 mount with RA drive + 6 volt sealed lead-acid battery +charger + standard and extra long Dec slow motion manual shafts. £150. Condition - used but working.

If I sell the OTA I will be looking to dispose of its accessories:
      9x50 Skywatcher straight finder - in excellent condition except that the small plastic dust cap is missing.
      Cheshire collimator, boxed, as new.
      Helical fine focuser, range 10mm, ID 1.25", screws into 2"adapter.
      3x Datysun Barlow, as new, boxed.
      Widefield eyepiece, 22mm f.l., 30mm body (note not 1.25")  with built in focus, works well with this telescope.
      Plastic collimation cap (no cost).
      This bundle would cost around £114 new - offered if bought with scope at £75 o.n.o.

• By DJastrzebski
      Hey,
      For sale is Baader Rowe Coma Corrector (RCC I) in a perfect condition (used max. 2 times). £90 including delivery in EU. PP preferred. Thanks for looking!

• By floastro
      Hi guys,
      This is the first lights of my ASA 12"N f/3.62 (purchased in 2007) with my Moravian G4-16000 CCD camera using one KAF-16803 chip of 36mm x 36mm (4K x 4K).
      The adjustments, collimation, ASA OK3-Z pression screws, asked a lot of attention.
      For a precise collimation, i use the CATSEYE XL & XLKP kit.
      This is the first 3hrs of exposures taken the last weekend in one night. The second night was too windy unfortunately.

Full Resolution image in 4K x 4K here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/integration_NGC4438_DBE_3HDR_CompositeAplatie2_Spikes2-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

Full Resolution Annotated image here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/NGC4438_new_image_Annotated.jpg

All the information below :

Enjoy !
      Florent ?
    • By chris_33
      i am looking for a coma corrector for astrophotography, i have a skywatcher 254/1200 pds, a nikon d5100, and a skywatcher off axis guider, what would you recommend?
    • By astrosathya
      Hello Everyone,
      I have a GSO 6" f/4 Astrograph, and there's always been this issue with elongated stars on one edge. I've checked collimation and it is perfect, but for the elongation on one corner. Could someone please throw some light on what's happening

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.