SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Roll Off Roof Control with a USB Relay

joecoyle

Hi

This may not be the place for this question, but here goes.

I bought a "5V USB Relay Programmable Computer Control For Smart Home" relay from eBay (for the grand total of £2.50), so I do not expect much from it, however I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

Some background - I have completed my ROR and am now hoping to use the relay to control the roof of my observatory via ASCOM and SGPro. Currently it uses a garage door opener & remote control.

For ASCOM control, I need to be able to assign a virtual COM Port to the relay so that the Max Pilote ROR driver can control it -- according to this SGL post below, it works with a different relay, but its no longer available, so thought It was worth a shot to try with a different one: 

I have seen a GitHub project for implementing operation of my relay (which does work fine as the device is HID compliant), but this is no good to me as its not ASCOM. For more info, See the wiki here: http://vusb.wikidot.com/project:driver-less-usb-relays-hid-interface

I have tried a multitude of drivers to see if I can get one to work as a virtual com port, for example the Eltima Virtual Com Port and the FTDI VCP driver, but I cannot seem to be able to assign a com port to the USB device in device manager.

Does anyone know how to force Windows 10 into using a Com Port for a USB (HID) device?

Does anyone use a USB relay to control their ROR from SGPro?

You can see the option to assign the board a Com port below.

rollroof.jpg

Apologies if I went too technical.

Thanks for any ideas.

Joe

Archived