Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

MBJ

Money well spent i hope.

Well,after owning numerous different scopes and mounts..too many to count ive broke the bank and aqcuired hopefully what i think will do for my visual needs and hopefully with a few accessories some imaging.

Ive had numerous eq goto mounts and an heq5 but still thought something was missing.3 x 200p,s 2 x ed100,s an ed 120,2 skymax 127s and a cpc800.....but....something was missing..... and i couldnt put my finger on it but i think ive finally found it!.

I recently bought an az-eq6 gt which has surpassed all my expectations and only yesterday aqcuired what i consider to be a real bargain as it is in pristine condition for a fraction of the new cost.

Although i had never really heard of them i was told by a very reliable source that they were up there with the best.

An APM 152 ED Doublet.

I havent had chance to look through it yet so cant comment on it but will write a review when i do.

My friend has just bought an esprit 150 and wants to get together one night so we can do a side by side comparison which im looking forward to.

Has anyone had any experience of one of these scopes and if so what are your thoughts.

• Like 2

I think you will be very happy with your choice. APM make some very nice scopes, and the 152 doublet will be excellent for visual of all kinds. The AZ-EQ6 is a lovely mount too, very solid, stable and accurate. I had a Vixen 150ED f9 on the same mount and enjoyed it alot. 

• Like 1

Should be a very nice 6 inch ED refractor by all accounts :smiley:

I think it's a choice between the APM 152 ED and the new Skywatcher ED150 in terms of ED doublets of that aperture that are available currently. With the latter so new to the market and still "shaking down" as it were, the APM 152 is the more mature product and makes sense :smiley:

I have an APM made 130mm F/9.2 triplet and it's a great scope. Excellent build quality and the LZOS objective is truly superb.

Have fun with your big new frac !

The APM 152mm ED doublet is indeed a fine scope, I had one myself for a while.  The fit and finish was very nice indeed with a very good focuser, much better than the Skywatcher ED series.  It also had very good optics, and in my view was the best value in a six inch quality refractor at that time.   If I was in the market for a 6 inch ED refractor again (unlikely though :smile:) I would certainly consider going the same route again.  If the SW 6 inch ED turns out as good or better than the APM it will be the best value ever in a 6 inch refractor without any doubt. 

John, any chance of you being loaned an example of the APM to try out against the SW when you have your next example of the latter from FLO to put through its paces?  :laugh2:

It would actually be a really good and useful comparison as some people may be making the decision between these two scopes - lucky them!  :smile:

• Like 1

I'm always amazed when I see some of the scopes you guys have sold, don't think I could bring myself to part with such nicely engineered scopes. I did sell a Linn sondek turntable and naim amps once many moons ago and always regretted it.

1 minute ago, Paul67 said:

I'm always amazed when I see some of the scopes you guys have sold, don't think I could bring myself to part with such nicely engineered scopes. I did sell a Linn sondek turntable and naim amps once many moons ago and always regretted it.

Sometimes people need funds for other things 🙁.