Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2018 Pitch Plan

Grant

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RayD said:

Ha ha I'll leave my dignity at the gate when I turn my lights off, Steve.  I'll make sure I bring some Savlon, Bandaids and plaster of Paris just to cover all initiation possibilities ?

I wouldn't worry too much....during my first star party, they just took off my fuzzy green hat, put it on and took photos of themselves. ??

6 minutes ago, lulu57 said:

I wouldn't worry too much....during my first star party, they just took off my fuzzy green hat, put it on and took photos of themselves. ??

Aha, well if that's all it takes to keep the baying mob entertained, then I shall bring along a selection of hats, tiaras and fascinators ?

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Aha, well if that's all it takes to keep the baying mob entertained, then I shall bring along a selection of hats, tiaras and fascinators ?

Excellent! Can I try them all on? (We need to do something during the deluge!)

15 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

No offence but I'm not sure you've quite covered everything but hey ho we all had to go through it and most of us came out the other side - although there was the poor bloke, Jonathon B... I wonder what happened to Jonathon - anyone know?

You said that you weren't going to mention his name to the newbies!

14 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I think he's still in the shower block :grin:

Dave

Nope, last I heard was that it was moved from the showerblock, and pegged out down by the riverside, face down and erm... (this comment has been censored due to protect the younger members of the group) ...then the hot air.... (this comment has been censored due to protect the younger members of the group) ... orbit.

Well........I've had a change of plan.  I am coming up Friday and staying the night, and staying Saturday day to meet all you great peeps and generally enjoy myself, but..........I am, unfortunately, not pitching my tent as I am driving to Spain Sunday and really don't want to leave my tent wet for 9 days while I'm away.

I have booked a hotel down the road for Friday night and have a lovely TV80 that I have to reluctantly hand back to FLO (boo), and I can't resist a hog roast ?

I love the thought of optimism, but I am also a realist.  At least this way I can enjoy my stay, meet everyone and go to Spain without worrying that my tent is going to rot.

Based on the absolutely terrible forecast I have at this point reluctantly decided to give it a miss. If things change I might risk it, but as it stands, I'd prefer to avoid my tent blowing away or getting damaged and the thought of 24 hrs of solid heavy rain and no stargazing has forced me to decide against going. Tough decision as I'd really looked forward to it. Hope those that do go have a good time. Sunday early evening might be clear and hope you get some stargazing in then.

Here's to next year. 

Steve 

:( :( 

Yea it's a massive shame, we was booked for Friday and Saturday, and was hoping against hope that the weather forecast would improve. But it seems now that fri, sat are going to have torrential downpours and 50mph+ gales.

Been looking forward to this event ever since the last one ended. But we are in two small cheap tents, if they don't blow away, they will probably float away ? .

So like Steve, we will not be attending unfortunately, and similarly it was a difficult decision as we was looking forward to meeting everyone again, and having a laugh at the quiz.

All the best to you all. Don't get too drunk or you may end up in the Wye ;)

Sorry to hear the weather forecast has put some people off. We do understand. Really we do. 

But consider, UK Star parties are primarily social events. An opportunity for us to meet and spend time with like-minded people.

Having attended around twenty Star Parties over the years, when I look back, the wet cloudy ones have generated the fondest memories because poor weather brings people together. 

Hope to see you there ? 

1 minute ago, Steve said:

the wet cloudy ones have generated the fondest memories because poor weather brings people together. 

They do but I have trouble remembering them when I wake up in the morning / afternoon :D

Dave

It's a shame how the weather is going to turn out to be for you guys and i feel for you all. It's also a massive shame i can't attend but am most certainly looking forward to someone making a video of the star party so at least we can put faces to a few names we see here.

Here's me hoping that the cloud Gods look the other way for the weekend for you all :)

If one thing makes me feel better for not being able to attend this year is the weather forecast.

Make the most of it, and stay safe - there will be plenty of opportunities to meet up in caravans etc. and just chat about astro related stuff.

You can still tinker and play with equipment, show each other images you've produced, enjoy some tipple, watch programs...all sorts.

Image processing can still take place, teach someone how to use Stellarium, or how to star hop etc... none of this actually needs a clear sky.

I say take the opportunity to learn from the vast levels of experience around and above all, enjoy what you can whilst there.

... and maybe get a virtual reality tour of the space station? or smell a comet? play Messier bingo? hold a 3D Jupiter in the palm of your hand? or make toilet roll solar systems.....?  Kids of any age <120 years old welcome ? 

Helen

Looks like I'm likely to be setting up my awning, just so that I can do the have the scope out thing so people can see, the cooling project in action.  Also, I could make myself a 0 degree dark library.

Hopefully the weather forecast will be better later in the week and there will be at least one clear night.

p.s. must remember to pack the wellies this year.

16 minutes ago, Jonk said:

there will be plenty of opportunities to meet up in caravans etc. and just chat about astro related stuff.

You can still tinker and play with equipment, show each other images you've produced, enjoy some tipple, watch programs...all sorts.

Image processing can still take place, teach someone how to use Stellarium, or how to star hop etc... none of this actually needs a clear sky.

10 minutes ago, Helen said:

... and maybe get a virtual reality tour of the space station? or smell a comet? play Messier bingo? hold a 3D Jupiter in the palm of your hand? or make toilet roll solar systems.....?  Kids of any age <120 years old welcome ? 

Excellent ??

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

As I don't drink, am I permitted to just moan about the weather instead whilst drinking orange juice and smoking Jupiter?

Moaning about the weather is allowed. So too is lobbing paper balls at astronomers on the other tables ?

Archived