SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 2018 Pitch Plan

Grant

1 hour ago, Helen said:

@RayD Please don't worry that much!  Accidents happen, even for the best prepared, and it is likely to be an isolated short-term issue.  As long as everyone thinks about it and does their bit then the overall experience will be good for everyone.

Helen

Exactly, this is the key, and the reason we posted, as long as everyone is considerate of what others are doing, and have planned ahead and properly prepared in the daylight to be able to work well in the dark, there are no problems. 

I started out as an imager, but now just observe at star parties. However it is possible to run a full imaging rig right next door to a big dob and not have any issues.

On the other hand, one uncovered laptop screen in a blue or green tent can ruin the enjoyment of many observers, even if they say nothing at all, and most of us don't, the internal aggravation doesn't make for relaxed observing, and that in turn makes it harder to observe stuff.

Ray, my very first star party I managed to floodlight the whole field by opening my car :p Lived to tell the tale though :D

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, if anybody, imager or observer needs any assistance in best practice working at star parties, please ask. I might even be able to spare my 17" red screen cover from FLO for a night.

I have spent many weeks at many star parties getting told off by many people, so have a pretty good idea of how to image or observe without spoiling somebody else's endeavours, more than happy to help. Most times, the source of the errant light is not even aware of the issue, and a friendly and polite request to adjust it is gratefully received. I normally send my wife or lad over, as although I am thinking only thoughts of warmth and pleasantness to my camping neighbours, I'm blessed with one of those belligerent faces that rubs people up the wrong way without a word :p

This all assumes we have some clear sky! :D

It’s all about intent really I think. If you are doing your best and something goes wrong, no one will mind. If, as I’ve seen a number of times at SGL parties, you sit there with an undimmed screen pointing towards someone trying to see a faint galaxy, and do nothing to change it despite repeated polite requests then some steam might start to come out of us visual chap’s ears ;)

I’m looking forward to meeting you @RayD, all will be well, you will have a grand time :) 

Thanks all, it's very reassuring to know I am unlikely to get lynched, as I will most definitely be trying very hard to be responsible.  I've even ordered some dimmable red LED lights for my tent, and some of the acetate to cover my screen (it does have a red screen function but, as noted earlier, this may not be good enough).

I think the nerves are there now, but will be really good to meet you all, even if I end up leaving all my imaging kit at home and just cadge a look through the big dobs (and enjoy a curry and hog roast).

PS, one sight of a pitchfork and I'm off!

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Thanks all, it's very reassuring to know I am unlikely to get lynched, as I will most definitely be trying very hard to be responsible.  I've even ordered some dimmable LED lights for my tent, and some of the acetate to cover my screen (it does have a red screen function but, as noted earlier, this may not be good enough).

I think the nerves are there now, but will be really good to meet you all, even if I end up leaving all my imaging kit at home and just cadge a look through the big dobs (and enjoy a curry and hog roast).

Bag of nerves here too, but we both have pretty bad anxiety anyway so we have pills for that ? Will be doing our best this week to get all the lights covered up.

Considering taking my dob as well, but frankly the thing drives me nuts and needs a rebuild. I picked it up on Facebook but it really isn't great - maybe I should bring it along to get ideas from everyone on how to improve it. Roast My Dob.

30 minutes ago, RayD said:

Thanks all, it's very reassuring to know I am unlikely to get lynched, as I will most definitely be trying very hard to be responsible.  I've even ordered some dimmable red LED lights for my tent, and some of the acetate to cover my screen (it does have a red screen function but, as noted earlier, this may not be good enough).

That's the spirit Ray. Last year was my first star party and I was very apprehensive, especially because my wife came (as she is this year) and she was quite dismissive of the red light policy (in a loving, caring mild fun poking kind of way she assured me)

But we painted a very low power torch with a few coats of red nail polish, same with a camping light, plus we purchased a red rope light for inside the tent (image attached) and I had no complaints at all. If I had, I'm sure it would have all been very friendly, I didn't see a single pitchfork :)

1508838791_5930.jpg

Thanks John,

Amazon delivery came tonight with the red LED lights and a couple of red mini torches.  I have a red head torch, but I reckon that's going to be a bit bright.  I'll bring it along anyway but with the knowledge that it may not be useable.

Very helpful advice, thanks guys, I will be all ears and eyes when I get there Friday.

** UPDATE: Red LED unacceptably bright ? see addendum **

Can I put in a good word for the LED Lenser SE03 head torch? It has the ability to put it into 'red' mode so when you switch it on it is red and if you switch it off it goes off. Red - off - red - off. Much better then the other headtorches I have had which cycle through red - white - off (or some such combination), causing we to desperately try to shield the white cycle... It costs nearly £30 new (I got it for £20 2nd hand from amazon warehouse), but is a godsend. When you want white mode, press and hold the on/off button for 3 seconds and it switches to white - off - white... 

Ady

PS - the SO3 has an acceptably dim red...

ADDENDUM - following a field trial of this head torch at SGL 2018 I found that the Red LED was unacceptably bright. I've dimmed it with some film, but that and the fact the the red beam is quite narrow and can't be adjusted means I have to withdraw my recommendation. 

2 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Can I put in a good word for the LED Lenser SE03 head torch? It has the ability to put it into 'red' mode so when you switch it on it is red and if you switch it off it goes off. Red - off - red - off. Much better then the other headtorches I have had which cycle through red - white - off (or some such combination), causing we to desperately try to shield the white cycle... It costs nearly £30 new (I got it for £20 2nd hand from amazon warehouse), but is a godsend. When you want white mode, press and hold the on/off button for 3 seconds and it switches to white - off - white... 

Ady

PS - the SO3 has an acceptably dim red...

Thanks Ady.  My one actually has 2 separate buttons, one either side, so I can select either red or white, but it seems pretty bright.  It's ok when I'm on my own, and I use it all the time, but I'm conscious now of it shining at people and dazzling a bit.  I have got some acetate coming so I may try a slice of that over it.

I have some very nice red sellotape-style tape which is perfect for dimming torches (and my click radio too ?) and very easy to use.  I'll bring the roll along ? - much easier than trying to get acetate to stay in place @RayD ?

Helen

3 minutes ago, Helen said:

I have some very nice red sellotape-style tape which is perfect for dimming torches (and my click radio too ?) and very easy to use.  I'll bring the roll along ? - much easier than trying to get acetate to stay in place @RayD ?

Helen

Thank you, Helen, that's really kind.  I'll come and find you and nab a little if I may ?

Just now, michaelmorris said:

I've got a roll of red floor tape that I'll try to remember to bring. If anyone wants some, just pop in, it will be free. ?

At this rate I'll just wrap my tent in it and sit inside in total safety for the weekend ?

@RayD I'm sure with all the tape that everyone is talking about we'll have great fun wrapping you up in it like a mummy.   After all, dare I say it? ?  I dare, likely to be ?cloudy? anyway, so all the red light rules go out of the window ?

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

How very dare you sir! I’m holding you fully accountable if it is. Recompense will be expected. 

I, like you, am hoping for crystal clear skys.   However, both autumn events that I've been to have haven't been the best weather wise.      We all know that people by shiney new kit in time for a start party.  This means that there's a tax to pay, and guess what form that tax comes in.

On 01/10/2018 at 17:56, Tim said:

Really looking forward to the SP now, let's just hope for some clear skies!

As a very gentle reminder, if you are not familiar with star parties, or even if you are, please take a second to review the SGL lights policy. When folk have spent over 30 mins ensuring proper dark adaption, it can really spoil a session and lead to bad feeling if somebody is thoughtless or accidentally careless with white lights, tent lights, or even too bright red lights and headlights. :) Thank you!

If it is clear feel free to come and enjoy the views through my 18" dob and Ethos EP's, Am always happy to share and to view objects of your choosing, or to show you the highlights of the sky. Pitch 111 I think  :D

Nice to hear this. Ive never been to a star party, but ive taken my scope to many festivals and gatherings through out the years.The one thing that makes me smile is when im showing people a faint object and just before they look they light their Cigarette. "I cant see anything!"

i hope the red light i made recently is dim enough... Planning on putting it under cover anyway, so hopefully i'll be the only one who suffers (and then i'll be round looking that red tape for nights 2 and 3 - because we are going to have 3 clear nights ? )

Archived