SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 2018 Pitch Plan

Grant

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tim said:

even too bright red lights and headlights. :) Thank you!

Good post Tim. I think the point above is really important. Bright red light is bad for light adaptation too, so if your light is too bright, stick some black tape over it too. When you are dark adapted it will still be bright enough to see by.

How do people deal with their caravan internal lights? There are some gaps in our blinds and im trying to decide how best to cover the gaps, or the lights.

Maybe I should just switch out all the bulbs for red ones :D

10 hours ago, upahill said:

How do people deal with their caravan internal lights? There are some gaps in our blinds and im trying to decide how best to cover the gaps, or the lights.

Here's what I do, and it works very well, even when I observe with fanatics ;)

Switch one of the internal caravan mains lights over to a fireglow red bulb, this ensures that seepage from the edge of the blinds is ok. We cover our skylights with blinds, or cardboard on the broken one.

For the outside light, I use RED LANE MARKER TAPE, available online, it neatly covers lights and car indicators and everything without leaving a residue, it is pretty much perfect for the job. Brighter LED type caravan awning lights would probably need two layers.

Unshielded laptop screens are a big pest, so appreciate imagers using a red cover, FLO sell them I think, I have one, it is brilliant. The next biggest blight is mobile phone screens.

If you wear a red headlight, be sure not to have it on when you talk to anybody!

Don't forget guys and girls, humans can actually see quite well in the dark, but only if properly dark adapted. The difference at the eyepiece is dramatic, several magnitudes of features suuddenly become available. At Lucksall we will be governed by the ambient sky, but it would be nice to be able to make the most of what is on offer :)

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/products/0420227/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Adhesives_And_Sealants_And_Tapes-_-Tapes|Lane_Marking_Tapes-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&matchtype=&pla-393079725829&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrdWRqtWQ7k10TXBw-QXkymkG26iRhp_EfyZUoT_wyPArpufWdT2OqwaArpNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/starsharp-red-filter-for-laptop-screens.html

13 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Hmmm looks like I'll have to poach a few new recruits for team scumbag - as ithe looks like we're a few brains down this time! :) 

There were brains in team scumbag?????? There I was thinking they were simply cheating before. ?

11 hours ago, upahill said:

My trick is forget modifying the caravan lights.   Just go down to B&M and get some red fairly lights.   you can string them up all over your van, have tonnes of light and have no problems with anything leaking.

Also means on those cloudy nights you are not compromised by having to have red light when you want light.   Just make sure not to turn on the white lights.

15 hours ago, Tim said:

Really looking forward to the SP now, let's just hope for some clear skies!

As a very gentle reminder, if you are not familiar with star parties, or even if you are, please take a second to review the SGL lights policy. When folk have spent over 30 mins ensuring proper dark adaption, it can really spoil a session and lead to bad feeling if somebody is thoughtless or accidentally careless with white lights, tent lights, or even too bright red lights and headlights. :) Thank you!

If it is clear feel free to come and enjoy the views through my 18" dob and Ethos EP's, Am always happy to share and to view objects of your choosing, or to show you the highlights of the sky. Pitch 111 I think  :D

Is there anyway that the site can tape off  and stop acess along ' dog poo alley' ?

Last year an old deer casually walking here dog  with white light blissfully unaware of the area was meant to be dark site?

1 hour ago, Tim said:

Unshielded laptop screens are a big pest, so appreciate imagers using a red cover, FLO sell them I think, I have one, it is brilliant. The next biggest blight is mobile phone screens.

Thanks for the reply. On a related note I found out about colour filters as an accessibility feature on the iPhone, can tint the entire screen to any degree of red and can link it to the accessibility shortcut (3 presses of home button).

Its been fantastic ever since for using as a red torch, and checking my phone ocassionally. Posting here incase anyone hasn't heard about it. https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/keep-your-night-vision-sharp-with-iphones-hidden-red-screen-0173903/

16 hours ago, Tim said:

Really looking forward to the SP now, let's just hope for some clear skies!

As a very gentle reminder, if you are not familiar with star parties, or even if you are, please take a second to review the SGL lights policy. When folk have spent over 30 mins ensuring proper dark adaption, it can really spoil a session and lead to bad feeling if somebody is thoughtless or accidentally careless with white lights, tent lights, or even too bright red lights and headlights. :) Thank you!

If it is clear feel free to come and enjoy the views through my 18" dob and Ethos EP's, Am always happy to share and to view objects of your choosing, or to show you the highlights of the sky. Pitch 111 I think  :D

I'm directly across from you Tim and will be similarly miffed at white light. That said, I have no recollection of that happening, certainly not in my limited experience of SGLSP. It has happened at my local dark site, albeit a local bobby wondering what on earth I was doing. Once I had explained to him in no uncertain terms about white light from his MASSIVE mag torch he was rather apologetic. He spent the next 30 minutes with me and I gave him a quick tour of the southern horizon.

Just to add a little further to the laptop screens. I spent a while considering whether to buy a red filter to fit over the screen of my laptop for times such as SGL.

However while playing around with the settings I realised that on my laptop, it is possible to set display 'profiles', of which I now have one set for a Red screen and works perfectly. I am sure this will be possible in the display settings for many people and will be worth a look.

2 hours ago, upahill said:

Thanks for the reply. On a related note I found out about colour filters as an accessibility feature on the iPhone, can tint the entire screen to any degree of red and can link it to the accessibility shortcut (3 presses of home button).

Its been fantastic ever since for using as a red torch, and checking my phone ocassionally. Posting here incase anyone hasn't heard about it. https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/keep-your-night-vision-sharp-with-iphones-hidden-red-screen-0173903/

There are equivalent apps for android phone are called 'Twilight' and 'Sunset'.  See the Play store.

20 hours ago, upahill said:

We have replaced all the bulbs in our motorhome for LEDS.  The fluorescent bulb in a strip lamp over the sink has been replaced by a strip of red LEDs.  When I'm observing, this is usually the only light on in the van.  This is also the light we turn on when getting up to go to the loo at night - because the light is red, it doesn't reset your body clock the way that blue does, meaning it is easier to get back to sleep.

1 minute ago, michaelmorris said:

We have replaced all the bulbs in our motorhome for LEDS.  The fluorescent bulb in a strip lamp over the sink has been replaced by a strip of red LEDs.  When I'm observing, this is the only light on in the van.  This is also the light we turn on when getting up to go to the loo at night - because the light is red, it doesn't reset your body clock the way that blue does, meaning it is easier to get back to sleep.

Nice we are still redecorating and rewiring the van (no pressure huh) so ill look at changing them out now, or at least having a single dedicated red light.

5 hours ago, Tim said:

Totally agree.  Every year there is at least one person who lights up the field with a white light laptop screen on in their tent.  ?  The answer is simple - if you can't make it red, don't turn it on.

I use a piece of dark red acrylic across the front of the laptop screen.  Using red profiles and red screen modes on software is fine to a point, but be aware that some software uses dialogue boxes which are white, regardless of what you set the colour profile to.

Perhaps FLO could bring some of the laptop screens with them to sell?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/starsharp-red-filter-for-laptop-screens.html

I feel like I just want to hide under a double thickness blackout sheet for the weekend now, with just my lens cell poking out of a hole (taped to to blanket of course) just in case I have an unexpected leak :eek:

1 hour ago, RayD said:

I feel like I just want to hide under a double thickness blackout sheet for the weekend now, with just my lens cell poking out of a hole (taped to to blanket of course) just in case I have an unexpected leak :eek:

That's Ray's outfit for the weekend

WinterGrassGhillie-finished-Front-shade.thumb.jpg.eef2711448b6821380364eac536ce6e0.jpg

Being totally honest, I'm actually nervous about going now.  I have this vision of a piece of acetate falling or being blown off a screen (yes this is my luck) leading to me being brutally outcast and banned for life.   Hmmmmm maybe I can tether a wireless connection and head off to another field with my laptop and image remotely.............

@RayD Please don't worry that much!  Accidents happen, even for the best prepared, and it is likely to be an isolated short-term issue.  As long as everyone thinks about it and does their bit then the overall experience will be good for everyone.

Helen

9 minutes ago, SimonS said:

@RayD We are neighbours for the weekend we can struggle together :D will be a good couple of days.

@Helen Will have space on my pitch if you would like to set up you lovely Dob again :) 

That would be great, thanks @SimonS ? 

And @RayD I look forward to meeting you ?

Helen

1 hour ago, RayD said:

Being totally honest, I'm actually nervous about going now.  I have this vision of a piece of acetate falling or being blown off a screen (yes this is my luck) leading to me being brutally outcast and banned for life.   Hmmmmm maybe I can tether a wireless connection and head off to another field with my laptop and image remotely.............

Whilst people on here may talk like it's the end of the world if something happens.   The reality is very different.   Normally what happens is that people won't complain too much about white light for a few moments when it's unexpected.    If you are about unlock/open a car make everyone around you know that there's going to be white light.   They can close their eye's.   Let 'em know when it's save to open again.

The only time that the white light police will get involved is if you decide to setup a screen or floodlight that lots of people can see for more than a few seconds.      i.e. deciding to have a party with lots of flashing lights won't go down too well.

I'm sure that you'll be fine, no need to get too hung up on it all ?

1 hour ago, RayD said:

I have this vision of a piece of acetate falling or being blown off a screen (yes this is my luck) leading to me being brutally outcast and banned for life. 

Pitchforks and torches (red filtered, of course) will be available to those who wish to track you down ?

mob1.jpg

Reminds me of being at the I.O.W. starparty once and having given up on any clear skies appearing I was covering the mount over with my headlight set on white light when someone shouted from out of the darkness " Turn that so and so light out " and they weren't joking, I shouted a suitable epithet back :grin:

Dave

Archived