Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All the Planets (+ a comet)

kerrylewis

Went for the ‘all the planets in one night’ challenge - although I did cheat a bit on the first two?

Venus and Jupiter are now too far west to see from my usual observing position so I got them in daylight with the aid of goto. Venus bright and easy to see in the finder and approx half illuminated in the scope. I had to wait a bit longer for Jupiter but eventually got it as a pale ghostly disc with the bands barely visible. I still get a bit of a kick from seeing the planets while the sun is still above the horizon.

Saturn was clear of the house opposite not long after sunset. A good sharp view; not quite as good as the other night but the Cassini division visible most of the time and three moons - Titan and the Rhea and Dione as it got darker and with the aid of averted vision. 

A quick nap before Mars appeared. Probably my best view this year (which is not saying much). A bright polar cap and some dark areas with more contrast than of late. This opposition has been disappointing and I certainly expected better views but I’ll settle for what is available! 

So that left Mercury. Up before dawn with the winter constellations. The moon very near Aldebaran and Orion striding up. I had to wait for Mercury to clear all the various tree obstacles (some self-inflicted!) and I dodged around the garden checking all the available patches of sky. Finally, by standing on our wooden bench and peering over the fence towards the neighbour’s garden (hope they are not up to see this nutter with the binoculars!), there it was low in the east. A full set!

I also managed the comet 21P G/Z although conditions were less than ideal. Thin cloud in the evening but the comet was visible and now near to Capella. In the morning the moon was bright but the comet still visible through the Tak.

So- a very satisfying tour of our solar system. 

Edit- forgot to mention Uranus and Neptune!! Easy to find with goto between Saturn and Mars and always good to see their tiny coloured discs ?

Hey Kerry, that’s a big haul!  I was also lurking around my garden with bins that time this morning, so nothing out of the ordinary in that!!  :)  It would be so easy to do the challenge from a peak top with no trees to dodge.  At least Uranus and Neptune are well placed  

I could just barely grasp 21P with the bins but very tough with the moon in the way.  Must have been pretty good in the Tak. Clear skies!

Nice work Kerry. I nabbed Mars, Uranus, Neptune and the comet the other night. Saturn was low behind my house so couldn’t view it unless I got my grab n go mount out with my small ‘frac, and Jupiter was down below the nearby houses. Always good to a nice haul in, so well done! :) 

Well done Kerry, I've had a couple of goes at this but not managed it, most of the planets are hiding in the trees only visible for a couple of minutes in the gaps from my garden.

I did manage to get a picture of Mercury recently.

Dave

Archived