Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Accessories advice for 200p dob.

Hi all,

Yesterday i had my new 200p dob delivered from flo ( but came with the wrong base :( )  i was just wondering what do people use as a finder scope as ive heard the original one is somewhat awkward to use.i was looking at a telrad but im not sure how you fit it to the scope. Does it fit where the finder scope goes? Or do i get this instead https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

Also i was looking at the bob knobs are these the right ones to use https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bobs-knobs-collimation/bobs-knobs-celestron-sky-watcher-newtonian-collimation-knobs.html ? 

Thanks for the help.

It has a 9x50 finder scope, I would try it at least before replacing it, unless you have some neck and/or back problems.

For star hopping I find it a good tool, straight-fhrough finder scope nice quality too. Many people don't like them but it has some power in it,  you can see some faint stars with it while star hopping. You can use both eye to star hop, one looking through the finder and the other eye looking at the sky.

That's very effective finder in fact but not always comfortable.

I like mine very much.

Welcome from land down under

First thing I did when got my 250mm dob, was to ditch the straight through finderscope, and purchased a right angle finderscope

Works error free every time, once aligned the crosshairs

Attached pic taken at a recent club public viewing night

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

5 hours ago, Olli said:

i was looking at a telrad but im not sure how you fit it to the scope. Does it fit where the finder scope goes?

The telrad comes with sticky strips and you basically can put it where you want - although it does help if it is at least roughly aligned with the OTA :D Seriously, the precise alignment of the base is not majorly important as long as it is close enough for the alignment screws to get it on target. Although I don't have a dob, I found getting a telrad suddenly made getting the scope on target sooo much easier - I regard it as (probably) the best value upgrade I have ever made.

But I would agree with N3ptune ... try the finder that comes with the scope first.  If you can't get on with it, consider why you can't get on with it. Then you will know what you want to achieve with the upgrade and we will be able to give more tailored advice.

Telrads do not magnify.

If like me, you are as blind as a bat, then a bit of magnification at the finder is good.

I went for the 90° finder, it's a bit more comfy.

They look like the right collimating knobs, I got mine cheaper from ebay!

I also have a finer focusing knob, it's in my sig.

Cheers.

I use both the 9x50 straight and a Telrad, on a 2" riser base:

20180903_071510.thumb.jpg.1b1776ca30f89dac0872254679d1c6b0.jpg

20180903_071520.thumb.jpg.ec6444d36a30db397d3aad2f8a1f6dbd.jpg

The base is cable-tied to the OTA.  This will allow me to remove it easily in the future without having to resort to acetone or similar to soften the sticky pads.

In addition to the Telrad, I also use a Water But Stand with a plywood base, similar to the arrangement here:

Using that, I no longer have to stoop to the eyepiece and makes it a lot easier on my back.

Richard

14 hours ago, bingevader said:

Telrads do not magnify.

If like me, you are as blind as a bat, then a bit of magnification at the finder is good.

I went for the 90° finder, it's a bit more comfy.

They look like the right collimating knobs, I got mine cheaper from ebay!

I also have a finer focusing knob, it's in my sig.

Cheers.

Hi,

Yes i knew the telrad didnt magnify ill have a look at the 90 degree one thank you.

14 hours ago, BiggarDigger said:

I use both the 9x50 straight and a Telrad, on a 2" riser base:

20180903_071510.thumb.jpg.1b1776ca30f89dac0872254679d1c6b0.jpg

20180903_071520.thumb.jpg.ec6444d36a30db397d3aad2f8a1f6dbd.jpg

The base is cable-tied to the OTA.  This will allow me to remove it easily in the future without having to resort to acetone or similar to soften the sticky pads.

In addition to the Telrad, I also use a Water But Stand with a plywood base, similar to the arrangement here:

Using that, I no longer have to stoop to the eyepiece and makes it a lot easier on my back.

Richard

Hi

Thanks for the advice i saw a thread earlier about a waterbut does seem like a good idea

I'm sure to get flamed for suggesting one, but I'm in my 50s with a back and neck that don't like contortions to look through a Telrad near zenith.  I added a green laser sight with a momentary power switch to my scopes.  It's really handy to blip it on, rapidly swing the scope onto the target, and release the switch.  I just make sure to scan the skies for approaching aircraft beforehand so as not to run afoul of the law.  They are fairly cheap on ebay and can be mounted with a short picatinny/weaver rail attached to the scope tube either with screws, sticky foam tape, or zip ties.

I think the best advice in this thread is to try what comes with the scope a few times before jumping into alternative / additional acessories. There are literally dozens of great things you can add to the scope but a bit of experience under your belt will help a lot to sort out which ones will deliver the best gains for you.

10 hours ago, Louis D said:

I'm sure to get flamed for suggesting one, but I'm in my 50s with a back and neck that don't like contortions to look through a Telrad near zenith.  I added a green laser sight with a momentary power switch to my scopes.  It's really handy to blip it on, rapidly swing the scope onto the target, and release the switch.  I just make sure to scan the skies for approaching aircraft beforehand so as not to run afoul of the law.  They are fairly cheap on ebay and can be mounted with a short picatinny/weaver rail attached to the scope tube either with screws, sticky foam tape, or zip ties.

I think it depends on the amount of air traffic in your skies. For me a laser would be unuseable with traffic from Heathrow and Luton, as well as a local air field and the air ambulance and police helicopters to watch out for. The OPs location of West Sussex puts the stack and approach for Gatwick overhead and so a laser is probably not best suited there either.

Another zero magnification device is the Rigel Quickfinder. Much smaller than a Telrad.
I use one on my MN78 alongside the right angle finder.

The earlier advice to give the scope a try, and find out the restrictions/problems with the supplied finder is the best.

I used to find myself utterly goosed at finding stuff in the sky until I settled on this combo:

Finders2.jpg

It's a Skywatcher RACI, and an el cheapo 2nd hand Celestron RDF, on a 3D printed dual holder cheap from a chap in Poland from the well known auction site (dearer branded options do exist).  With this combo I can be on anything I can see with the naked eye in < 30 seconds and I heartily commend the combination to you.

Archived