Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Herschel 400 lists

Mark at Beaufort

Thanks to Stephan @Nyctimenehe has provide a link to this website which shows 3 different observing guides for Herschel 400 objects. Here is a Link - http://www.faintfuzzies.com/DownloadableObservingGuides2.html

I have not studied the 3 sets but it appears to cover 6", 8" and 10"/12" Scopes in parts I, II and III. I thought there was only one list where I have covered 397 objects but clearly this will add to the overall total. I need to cross reference each list to cover duplicates - job for a cloudy night.

When on this site, note that if you click on the image of the book cover you will be taken to a free download of a pdf of that book. You can then either print the whole thing out yourself, or just do it page by page as required.

If you click on the 'print version' link (barely readable dark blue on black), then you'll be taken to a shop where you can buy the book ready printed.

I have had a quick look at the 3 different lists. So if you fancy studying a particular constellation - lets say Andromeda this is what you could undertake.

List one - NGCs 7662, 7686, 205, 404, 752 and 891 (6" scopes)

List two - NGCs 7640, 206, 214 and 513 (8" scopes)

List three - NGCs 536 and 705. (10"/12")

I have not cross referenced the total of the 3 lists (ignoring duplicates if they exist) but it might be useful after observing the Messier Lists.

• 3 weeks later...

Or you can buy the Herschel 1 and III from the Webb Society ready printed ?  (www.webbdeepsky.com) The Herschel I and II are the AL lists for their pins. The Herschel III was another list putogether for those that like faint galaxies. There should be no overlap between the lists.

Owen

Archived