Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

LunaSwift

What Guiding system do I need

I have a Skywave 102ED  Scope and 2 mounts, iOptron IEQ 45 and Celestron AVX Pro, What I need is a suitable Guide Scope/camera bundle to use on this set up. I have been recommended the Starwave 50mm Guide Scope & GPCAM Mono Guide Camera COMBO from Altair Astro, but the specifications say it is only good for 500mm scopes , As my Scope is 715 mm fl can anyone recommend a suitable guide scope /camera combo  for my set up. UK Markets only of course 

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by LunaSwift
Correct spelling

I use the Altair Astro 60mm guide scope with my iEQ45 with a Loadstar camera but the GP Cam is fine.

A pic' of it here on the SWSA.

Dave

SWSA-Guider.png.6fde0c3e0680839a5c02a868d8572509.png

Hi  Skywatcher Startravel 80 is widely used and recommended as a guidescope...  FLO do some bundles including the ZWO ASI120 mono and mounting parts for piggybacking or side by side

Dave

• Like 1

I do have a Skywave 70ED Scope which I could use as a guide scope, but I would prefer something lighter

There are a number of options you could take for Autoguiding... as well as described above, you can get a OAG (Off-Axis guider) and this way you wont even need a guide scope.... as far as the tracking CCD is concerned, you could get any mono CCD, (personally I use a Imaging Source DMK 21au618), a GPUSB adapter from Showstring Astronomy and guide using PHD2 on a Laptop/computer... OR even give up on the CCDs/GPUSB and laptop and just get the Celestron NexGuide unit.... I use it on some of my guiding projects and it works very well.

Using NexGuide and a OAG would make your guiding and imaging on one one scope (no guide scope necessary) and a closed loop system. You would have little to no problem locating a guide star using a OAG at 700mm FL.... 

I use an ST80 and Lodestar to guide an imaging scope working at 0.9 arcseconds per pixel. The scope's cheap, the camera less so!

Olly

I'd save yourself some money and give the 70ed a go and see how you get on, I'd have thought that and the 102 plus cameras etc would be well within the capacities of either of your mounts, a lighter guidescope would only save you a kg.   As for cameras I use the ZWO ASI120 mono which works well and is only £185.

Dave

Some very useful replies here, Thank you, I may well go with the 70ED  and find a small guide camera for it .

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised that the Altair guide scope only suggests guiding 500mm focal length.

FWIW, my guide-scope is a mere 162mm in focal length and I have no trouble guiding my 1000mm FL scope at 1.14 asec/pix.

The guide camera does have pretty small pixels at 3.75µm. This gives a 4.77 asec/pix and a healthy enough ratio of 1:4.2 (You'll often here 1:5 quoted as a maximum).