Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Guiding system do I need

LunaSwift

I have a Skywave 102ED  Scope and 2 mounts, iOptron IEQ 45 and Celestron AVX Pro, What I need is a suitable Guide Scope/camera bundle to use on this set up. I have been recommended the Starwave 50mm Guide Scope & GPCAM Mono Guide Camera COMBO from Altair Astro, but the specifications say it is only good for 500mm scopes , As my Scope is 715 mm fl can anyone recommend a suitable guide scope /camera combo  for my set up. UK Markets only of course 

Thanks in anticipation

There are a number of options you could take for Autoguiding... as well as described above, you can get a OAG (Off-Axis guider) and this way you wont even need a guide scope.... as far as the tracking CCD is concerned, you could get any mono CCD, (personally I use a Imaging Source DMK 21au618), a GPUSB adapter from Showstring Astronomy and guide using PHD2 on a Laptop/computer... OR even give up on the CCDs/GPUSB and laptop and just get the Celestron NexGuide unit.... I use it on some of my guiding projects and it works very well.

Using NexGuide and a OAG would make your guiding and imaging on one one scope (no guide scope necessary) and a closed loop system. You would have little to no problem locating a guide star using a OAG at 700mm FL.... 

I'd save yourself some money and give the 70ed a go and see how you get on, I'd have thought that and the 102 plus cameras etc would be well within the capacities of either of your mounts, a lighter guidescope would only save you a kg.   As for cameras I use the ZWO ASI120 mono which works well and is only £185.

Dave

I'm a bit surprised that the Altair guide scope only suggests guiding 500mm focal length.

FWIW, my guide-scope is a mere 162mm in focal length and I have no trouble guiding my 1000mm FL scope at 1.14 asec/pix.

The guide camera does have pretty small pixels at 3.75µm. This gives a 4.77 asec/pix and a healthy enough ratio of 1:4.2 (You'll often here 1:5 quoted as a maximum).

Archived