Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Max22

First Attempt At The Trifid Nebula

Would be useful to know what equipment and exposure etc was used.

Could have gotten a lot more detail with a longer exposure. The clouds were rolling in so I was only able to capture 100x10 Shots @ISO 800

Good shooting, but it looks like you just missed the Lagoon nebula. Images can be uploaded to astrometry sites such as nova.astrometry.net to find out what has been captured. Here is the result:

result.jpg

Could very well be the case, novice mistake. I often struggle with accurate alignment, I'll double check from now on to make sure that my targets "correct". Looks like I'll have to change the name to the Trifid Nebula now

Edited by Max22

Depending on your equipment you can align things automatically. Sharpcap will platesolve and you can then add that point to your "map" allowing you to centre on your target.