SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star Adventurer Tuning

Thalestris24

Hi,

Did you manage to adjust all of the gears in the unit ? I could only see that I could adjust the motor backlash, the other two brass gears don't seem to have any adjustment ?

And I did adjust the worm gear backlash using the grub screw on the bottom of the unit.

Not impressed with my SA, the wedge is also useless with loads of play.

24 minutes ago, SAW said:

Hi,

Did you manage to adjust all of the gears in the unit ? I could only see that I could adjust the motor backlash, the other two brass gears don't seem to have any adjustment ?

And I did adjust the worm gear backlash using the grub screw on the bottom of the unit.

Not impressed with my SA, the wedge is also useless with loads of play.

I've had the impression that some SA's are 'bad' and need to be sent back if under warranty. In order to proper adjustments you need to do a stripdown but that would probably invalidate the warranty...

Louise

I've already stripped, cleaned and regressed mine but could only see the adjustment on the motor gear, couldn't see any other adjustment points on the other gears apart from the grub screw that set the worm gear backlash.

Even after this and using a Polemaster I still can't get even 2mins without trailing. I might do better with just a dslr and lens as I'm using my WO61 and 600D but it's hardly straining it, completed scope with camera and flattener is only 2.3kg.

I think you have to use the clutch mechanism to adjust the wedge latitude - pull out/away the lever (can't remember now...). I've adjusted the gears ok and did my best to adjust the worm. I've never stripped down the wedge though mine might benefit from doing something to it. Obviously, with only a RA motor, polar alignment is critical yet hard to do and hard to keep. Balance is also important. Still, you should be able to get decent results with a lens and short exposures. You can guide in RA but you have to figure out how best to fit a guide scope. I've added a qhy mini guide scope via a second ballhead, but not had a chance to try it.

Louise

8 hours ago, SAW said:

I've already stripped, cleaned and regressed mine but could only see the adjustment on the motor gear, couldn't see any other adjustment points on the other gears apart from the grub screw that set the worm gear backlash.

Even after this and using a Polemaster I still can't get even 2mins without trailing. I might do better with just a dslr and lens as I'm using my WO61 and 600D but it's hardly straining it, completed scope with camera and flattener is only 2.3kg.

I'd lower your expectations. 

I have the same kit, and the only way to achieve that and longer subs is to guide.

It was designed primarily for wide camera lenses. 

Balance is also critical with this tiny mount.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Yeah, the WO61 has a focal length of 360mm, I believe? It's a bit on the long side for the SA but should be doable with guiding and perfect PA :)

Louise

Works fine on my SWSA 2 minutes unguided which is enough to overexpose with my light pollution :grin:

A useful thing feature of the WOZ61 is the mounting foot that can be reversed to achieve balance on the SWSA.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Works fine on my SWSA 2 minutes unguided which is enough to overexpose with my light pollution :grin:

A useful thing feature of the WOZ61 is the mounting foot that can be reversed to achieve balance on the SWSA.

Dave

Same problem as me ha ha

• 2 months later...

Interesting thread. Sorry if I go slighly off topic, but do you know from where I could draw a 5v power line from the SA circuit? directly from the regulator perhaps?

I'd like to to a minor modding, adding an embedded polarscope illuminator instead of using the external one.

I took my SA apart a year ago to resolder the USB socket - the power connector mod is a great idea. I did the fiddling with gears and so on. On mine there is a hex grub screw for adjusting the worm mesh on the outside of the casing which makes a lot of difference but its easy to make the worm bind so it needs care. I've used it a few times in anger but never seem to be able to get anything I mount on it to focus and stay focused, even when connected to a laptop. Must be jinxed.

• 3 years later...