SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrotortilla plate solving settings help

The other night I had my first go at Astrotortilla plate solving. I followed a video tutorial to select the library files during installation, based upon the max and min FOV with camera + scope.

However in use, I followed the Astrotortilla included quick start instructions - to check the 3 "Actions" checkboxes, and then click start. 5 minutes later nothing seems to have happened. At this point I packed up since had to be up early the next day.

Below is a screenshot from that attempt. I assume the "Solver" settings need tweaking - since I haven't touched them - to progress? Thanks in advance for any help.

Astrotortilla_long_settings.JPG

On 02/09/2018 at 19:10, choochoo_baloo said:

Thanks both.

I've had a gander at your thread @geordie85, and thought it helpful for future readers of this thread to have a read of this detailed Astrotortilla tutorial that I'll be following myself:

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-and-using-astrotortilla-for-plate-solving.html

That's the tutorial I used to setup mine. Never failed to platesolve. Great tutorial.

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Sorry if this is a hijack, but... I use a DSLR so can't platesolve my main images. Is it feasible to platesolve the guide camera images? (I realise the guide cam and scope would need to be properly aligned for this to work.)

Why can't you solve the images? Isn't the dslr connected to the computer? Astrotortilla solves dslr raw images too.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

DSLR not connected to computer.

I've run out of USB ports...

I've just started using a "USB-ethernet extender".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-2-0-Over-Cat5-Extender-Cost-effective-Black/dp/B00T9RTT2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536272025&sr=8-1&keywords=startech+4+usb+2.0+ethernet

It works flawlessly and means one can have a single ethernet (Cat 5/6) cable from the setup that is then converted back to a single male USB at the local (PC) end. In other words 4 USB devices are collapsed into one.

Well worth the coinage. 

Some good news so as to help anyone else who has having the same Astrotortilla issues...that tutorial is excellent. Two things:

• A 10 deg solving radius is plenty
  • I found Julian Now epoch to work straight off, whereas Julian 2000 /J2000 didn't centre as well (circled below). 31 seconds is pretty quick!

First successful plate solve (31s).JPG

Archived