Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The beauty of Saturn

kerrylewis

There is little that beats the imperial beauty of Saturn at its best. As it emerged from the twilight last night and dodged the TV aerials of the house opposite it was looking promising. I always start with the 10mm in the Tak (90x) which gives a lovely wide view of the planet; jewel-like in its setting. It is very low at present and there was a distinct orange cast to its colour but it did look as it it could take a little more magnification. Here’s where the Nagler 3-6mm zoom comes into its own - at 6mm the view was good, at 4mm a bit fuzzy but 5mm (225x) the view was perfect.

Seeing was good but then occasionally it was excellent; everything sharp-edged with the Cassini division clear all round. Being at quadrature the shadows enhanced the 3D effect and subtle banding came and went on the planet itself. Two moons were visible (Titan obviously but I need to check the other one) and the whole scene was just glorious - this is why I love the planets. I just stayed with it, enjoying the view. We are blessed to have such a lovely object in our solar system. 

Unfortunately clouds spoilt the party before lowly Mars showed itself but Saturn was enough. 

Saturn on the right night with a nice scope is a wonderful sight, i still remember taking my old TAL 100RS to a dark site one winters night and i had a truly jaw dropping view of Saturn, so sharp and clear, it was all i looked at that night

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

Two moons were visible (Titan obviously but I need to check the other one)

Hi Kerry, the othe moon you saw was probably Rhea, Saturn's next biggest moon at the 3 o'clock position last night with Titan at 11 o'clock.  Surprised you saw it in a Tak 100, well done!

4 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Kerry, the othe moon you saw was probably Rhea, Saturn's next biggest moon at the 3 o'clock position last night with Titan at 11 o'clock.  Surprised you saw it in a Tak 100, well done!

I think that you’re right. Position matches anyway. It was coming and going and averted vision helped, but definitely there. 

3 hours ago, Dave1 said:

Nice report, Saturn sure is a spectacular sight when everything falls into place. What telescope were you using Kerry? 

Hello Dave

I was using my Takahashi FC -100DL. 4” refractor- really good on the planets

Kerry 

Archived