Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Do You Think About This Unique Way Of Observing The Night Sky?

refractordude

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Image intensifers used in night vision are nice, They say the tube you want is black and white I think I have seen pics and video of all the tube colours now and the only one I thought a little unpleasant was the green one...too much like those old green cast moon filters they used to hand out in my opinion. Like the detail but the fluttering flashpoints are not that pleasing. If this tech becomes less pricey and my wife leaves the house for just long enough I might just grab one but for me at least for now it's a little too early to get excited. 

Doesn't really do anything for me, I'm afraid. I've been known to plug a camera into a scope and show people what is up there just taking individual subs and I'm not sure what the above method gives compared to that. And, as SIDO has said, I found the flashing lights to be very offputting.

BUT, although it would not be for me, if it works for you then I wish you many happy hours under the stars with it. How we observe is far less important than the fact that we do.

Lots of posts on SGL over the past six months on this - try putting Night Vision into the search box.

Here is a recent one

The flashing lights (scintillation) is not as noticeable in visual observation as compared to the video shown above. also you can adjust the gain to reduce/remove this to personal preference.

refractordude,

It is a revolution to visual observing (as long as you have deep pockets).

Here are a few of my (many) observing report posts... :)

Gavin has posted plenty of "phonetography" posts in the observing reports section too.

Are you based in the UK?

- If so, then your options to purchase the latest Night Vision technology are limited (as export of the latest Night Vision technology from the USA is illegal) and therefore expensive! Gavin and I both imported our hardware from Luxembourg...

We are using "Photonis 4g INTENS" white phosphor Night vision tubes should you wish to Google it...

Please do ask any questions?

HTH,

Alan

It definitely has potential.. and can help in seeing the more elusive objects such as the horsehead nebula... but there is something that a dark clear sky with an eyepiece that can be beaten by any artificial aids.

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

It definitely has potential.. and can help in seeing the more elusive objects such as the horsehead nebula... but there is something that a dark clear sky with an eyepiece that can be beaten by any artificial aids.

To me it was a clear choice...

Question1: Do I want to see the objects in the Sharpless catalog - Yes/No?

Question2: Do I want to see spiral arms of our local galaxy neighbours (this is on my bucket list) - Yes/No?

If you see my activities as "articifial" then I wont lose sleep over it but I would ask you to consider "What do you want to see before you die?".

Your point about the "dark clear sky" is irrelevant, I live with a dark clear sky too but NV has taken my observing to another level :) (whatever you can see from your location will increase 10 fold! ). I can see directly at the eyepiece what otherwise could only be seen in images taken over many hours.

Alan

37 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

What do you want to see before you die?"

My son grow up as a good man with morals and marry a good woman, grand kids... priorities... after all astronomy is just a hobby and I'm more than satisfied with what I can see in the eyepiece...

Obviously you love the NVs and who knows, if I looked through one I might too, but right now in this point in time, I'm happy with what I see.

42 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

can see directly at the eyepiece what otherwise could only be seen in images taken over many hours.

So far from what I saw on the video and others screen/nv eyepiece shots I'd say it's closer to a 10-15 second exposure...

46 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

You are a master of the understatement :)

Perhaps... I'd have to see something through a pair to have a proper opinion but right now I'm on the side that I'll see what I see in the EP and if I want electronic amplification, I'm happy to take a picture... it'll last longer ... ?

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I'd love to see, can you send a link please?

Sorry, as I am a visual observer, what I see is for me and me only :( ( I've written plenty of observing reports (posted on here) based on my notes taken while observing).

Never have been and never will be an imager - different breed (warm rooms and the like :) ) - I like to stand outside freezing my bits off and eeking out the last piece of detail at the eyepiece with my well adapted mark one eyeball!

- You still need observing skill to use NV to the max, its not just a case of stand there, look and say wow! - although that does seems to happen quite a lot :)

2 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Sorry, as I am a visual observer, what I see is for me and me only :( ( I've written plenty of observing reports (posted on here) based on my notes taken while observing).

Never have been and never will be an imager - different breed (warm rooms and the like :) ) - I like to stand outside freezing my *** off and eeking out the last piece of detail at the eyepiece with my well adapted mark one eyeball!

- You still need observing skill to use NV to the max, its not just a case of stand there, look and say wow! - although that does seems to happen quite a lot :)

Understandable... I do both since both observing and freezing has its rewards as well as imaging... although I have more of a sense of accomplishment when I image using gear I built or modify myself as opposed to buying ready made...

Currently my DSO imaging is on hold until I finish the active cooling mod to my 40D...

Gents, let’s not take this any further down a ‘mine’s better than yours’ path.

We can all co-exist very nicely together I hope. I am a committed, hardcore visual astronomer for what it’s worth, but can see the appeal of NV having look through Gavin’s kit. Seeing the Horsehead and Flame nebulae from my light polluted back garden is not something I will forget in a hurry.

My first love will always be looking through an eyepiece unaided, but there is plenty of room for alternative approaches to be discussed and shared (nicely!) :)

Just returned from Naples and still quite alive, we, the three of us, glad to be home. I very much enjoy reading the NV reports both Gavin's and Alan's accounts are highly engaging in conveying what NV can accomplish and good luck in pursuit with the Sharpless Catalogue. It is and probably will remain a financial improbability for many visual observers and yet for many and speaking for myself, quite happy with their lot, dark transparent skies, photon gathering at an eyepiece is and will continue to be very enriching. 

Yawn…. Move along, nothing to see here…. Been doing this for 6yrs. Others have been doing it for nearly 20. Availability has been somewhat difficult, but new EU tubes seem to be delivering the goods as @Gavster and @alanjgreen are showing. Different tools show different stuff. Big scopes are expensive, but amateurs have a habit of sharing our views, so not everyone need get one. With a suitable filtration it shows  the sky full of stars, which would be good to use in outreach, especially in urban situations where he might sky normally only contains the moon.

PEter

Archived