Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy Pet Pictures.

Our dog Louie often accompanies me while observing. Just thought that I would post a few pictures of our loyal pouch. We were out earlier this evening. 

During the day he notices low flying passenger aircraft out of London City Airport. He then chases them across our garden. I suppose it would be too much to expect him to react to meteors in a dark sky. Wonder if I could train him to do so? 

DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0130.JPG

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's nice Martin, Bess the one in my avatar spent many nights helping me with astro' stuff, Jess her one time companion used to run up and down barking at helicopters and he absolutely loved firework night used to bark to be let out and race round the garden trying to catch rockets, had to shut him in when doing any angle grinding as he tried to catch the sparks in his mouth.

He also loved One Man and his Dog, used to run round the back of the TV looking for the sheep :grin:

Dave

12 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

That's nice Martin, Bess the one in my avatar spent many nights helping me with astro' stuff, Jess her one time companion used to run up and down barking at helicopters and he absolutely loved firework night used to bark to be let out and race round the garden trying to catch rockets, had to shut him in when doing any angle grinding as he tried to catch the sparks in his mouth.

He also loved One Man and his Dog, used to run round the back of the TV looking for the sheep :grin:

Dave

That's a great story Dave. It's a lovely picture/avatar. My Louie loves to chase squirrels in the park. He runs right past the wood pigeons. They seem to say to him"Chill out brother" and are not phased by him. 

My companion of 10 years (Hugo) hated me going out with a scope. The look of horror on his face when I started preparing kit to go outside had to be seen to be believed. While out observing he'd sit by the door patiently waiting, after about 90 minutes he'd start huffing, puffing and grumbling letting me know my allocated time was up and it was time to come back inside. As soon as I'd start fitting dust caps ready to bring everything back inside his depression lifted where upon he'd be jumping around and wagging his tail.

Sadly he passed away back in May, observing hasn't been the same since. Now it's my wife nagging me to come back inside instead of Hugo ? 

20141219_142936.jpg

21 minutes ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

My companion of 10 years (Hugo) hated me going out with a scope. The look of horror on his face when I started preparing kit to go outside had to be seen to be believed. While out observing he'd sit by the door patiently waiting, after about 90 minutes he'd start huffing, puffing and grumbling letting me know my allocated time was up and it was time to come back inside. As soon as I'd start fitting dust caps ready to bring everything back inside his depression lifted where upon he'd be jumping around and wagging his tail.

Sadly he passed away back in May, observing hasn't been the same since. Now it's my wife nagging me to come back inside instead of Hugo ? 

20141219_142936.jpg

Bless him. They really are fantastic friends. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

lol, love the idea, fortunately i don't have any pets, but still like the idea.

You'll have to rescue one. 

We have a wonderful Doberman, Kobi, who is now twelve and a half. Named by our son after Kobe Bryant, a US top basketball player, from LA, (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant), whom he saw play live in New York back in early 2006 while on a 6th form college trip.

So, we have had Kobi the Dobi guarding our home for the past 12 years:hello2:. He is the best dog by far we have ever owned, but isn't remotely interested in stargazing.

But he does go outside last thing at night which gives me the chance to look up and see if it's clear or not - and often I grab a pair of binoculars for a quick peek while he roots about in the garden..(more than once he has gently picked up a hedgehog and presented it to me at the back door)!

These days he sleeps more but still loves racing after a pair of squeaky tennis balls most dry mornings.

A truly wonderful character. My youngest daughter is quite gifted in art and captured Kobi well below I think☺.

Dave

IMG_20180819_223758330.jpg

IMG_20180702_181806286.jpg

IMG_20180702_181814683-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20180729_164652_545.jpg

That is a  fine artwork of Kobi, captures him well.

Dogs really are the finest companions. My last dog, Bailey ,is in my avatar and also happily snoozed away the hours whilst I was outside. I lost him ,of all days, on Friday 13th April 2012 at 12.03pm. He is very much missed.

59 minutes ago, Floater said:

Dogs with hats reminded me of this pic, Bess chilling out on a hot day at the seaside.

Only drawback was the hour spent in the shower when we got home :grin:

Dave

Bess.png.dd3a7af8f208113089c5753ef3b02869.png

9 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Ideally, but I rarely have time, to enjoy my most beloved hobby, I wouldn’t dare take on a pet unless I could give it the attention it deserves. Maybe a tarantula would be suited for my lifestyle.

It would keep the bugs at bay. Lol. 

5 hours ago, F15Rules said:

We have a wonderful Doberman, Kobi, who is now twelve and a half. Named by our son after Kobe Bryant, a US top basketball player, from LA, (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant), whom he saw play live in New York back in early 2006 while on a 6th form college trip.

So, we have had Kobi the Dobi guarding our home for the past 12 years:hello2:. He is the best dog by far we have ever owned, but isn't remotely interested in stargazing.

But he does go outside last thing at night which gives me the chance to look up and see if it's clear or not - and often I grab a pair of binoculars for a quick peek while he roots about in the garden..(more than once he has gently picked up a hedgehog and presented it to me at the back door)!

These days he sleeps more but still loves racing after a pair of squeaky tennis balls most dry mornings.

A truly wonderful character. My youngest daughter is quite gifted in art and captured Kobi well below I think☺.

Dave

IMG_20180819_223758330.jpg

IMG_20180702_181806286.jpg

IMG_20180702_181814683-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20180729_164652_545.jpg

How cruel that he has to sleep alone and not in your bed. Lol. Great pictures of him on the beach. Love the rendition. 

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

That is the single best dog photograph in the world.

Here's Cachou advising on observatory construction. How I miss her.

NEW%20OBSY%201-M.jpg

Olly

It's a heart break when they are no longer with us. 

We had two westies, Lucy was my companion at the scope, Hamish was my nemesis at the scope :)

I say had, some of you will recall we lost Hamish last year. Lucy unfortunately made her last visit to the vet yesterday aged 16yo and 1 day. A touch raw to be sorting photos to post, maybe later but don't let that derail the thread!

She had a good life though and we've spent the last day recalling funny stories, there are many.

We had a bbq once and a bottle of beer got dropped, the explosion was spectacular and you've guessed it, Lucy (we hadn't got Hamish yet) was there like a shot to clean up, regardless of the broken glass. You've got to watch them! She had a cast iron constitution, she was partial to a good curry and you had to watch your cappuccino too!

When imaging in Spain I have a little warm room in a casita.  We had a "wild" campo cat that used to come and visit us every time we were there.  He didn't have a home, but stayed with us for the duration of any visit over a period of about 5 years, fending for himself when we came back to the UK.  As you can see he was very much my mate, and didn't like being left alone.  This was his usual position whenever I imaged, and he would just climb up, wrap himself around my neck and go to sleep for a few hours.

I don't think he ever quite got the concept of being a wild cat!

Not quite the companionship and loyalty of a dog, but he gave it a good go.

20161001_003023.thumb.jpg.73c8330b315f3bab00e35c316ec0c148.jpg

18 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

We had two westies, Lucy was my companion at the scope, Hamish was my nemesis at the scope :)

I say had, some of you will recall we lost Hamish last year. Lucy unfortunately made her last visit to the vet yesterday aged 16yo and 1 day. A touch raw to be sorting photos to post, maybe later but don't let that derail the thread!

She had a good life though and we've spent the last day recalling funny stories, there are many.

We had a bbq once and a bottle of beer got dropped, the explosion was spectacular and you've guessed it, Lucy (we hadn't got Hamish yet) was there like a shot to clean up, regardless of the broken glass. You've got to watch them! She had a cast iron constition, she was partial to a good curry and you had to watch your cappuccino too!

That's a sad read, sorry to hear that, John.

Archived