Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

widotje

ASI1600MM Pro unboxing, cooling and dark frames test.

Hi all,

Since a few days, I'm the proud owner of the asi1600 Pro.

Performed some first tests, see: https://youtu.be/hHJBbpNoi2I

I used SGP Pro to test cooling and dark frames (2m and 5m) on unity gain settings.

Is it ok to use unity gain (139) setting or should I use high dynamic range?

Also, this is my first mono. Do I need to take flats/bias frames for each filter separately?

And how could I stack either broadband or narrowband images? I'm used to deep sky stacker.

Cheers,

Wido

• Like 1

2 hours ago, widotje said:

Hi all,

Since a few days, I'm the proud owner of the asi1600 Pro.

Performed some first tests, see: https://youtu.be/hHJBbpNoi2I

I used SGP Pro to test cooling and dark frames (2m and 5m) on unity gain settings.

Is it ok to use unity gain (139) setting or should I use high dynamic range?

Also, this is my first mono. Do I need to take flats/bias frames for each filter separately?

And how could I stack either broadband or narrowband images? I'm used to deep sky stacker.

Cheers,

Wido

I use 139 for almost everything. Its a good starting point.  2m for LRGB and 5m for narrow band is ok.

Dont use bias with a CMOS camera.

You will most likely do better with flats for each filter.

Adam

Adam, Rob,

Thank you so much for the valuable information.

I'll try to take flats for each of the filters and make a dark library. 

And I'll check out Jon Rista's website. Thanks!

This will be my first advanture with a mono camera ?

Hi all

Just finished my first narrowband session imaging the Cresent nebula. Used a standard unity setting of 139. I'm really impressed by the h-alpha images. I started out with a simple workflow with the new zwo 7nm filters, using deepskystacker and Photoshop to create a combined image.

https://youtu.be/d75Aa_5NKUQ

This was my very first narrowband session...still have a lot to learn :-). Tips are welcome!

cresent_HA_OMG (1 van 1).jpg

IMG_20180902_130625_299.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Adam J said:

I like that you jumped straight in with a full tri-filter image :)

Hi Adam, 

Yes, I'm probably moving a bit fast and now I'm in over my head, haha.

have to learn how to process this stuff :-).

collected some more data and tweaked a bit more. Neutralised the stars by taking out the green colors. And added clarity to the surrounding nebulae. I'm amazed at the detail I get in my red zone. This is addictive.

cresent_HSO_Halpha2 (1 van 1).jpg

cresent_HSO_Halpha2 (1 van 1).jpg

• Like 1

Flats: The official answer is that you should do flats per filter. In truth I usually find that a luminance flat works for everything. On the rare occasions when it doesn't I do it properly!

Olly

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.