Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

NGC 1502

Weather forecasts

Hi all.  I realise this topic has been well covered before.  However, technology moves on, and ( hopefully ) forecast accuracy improves.

So I’d be grateful if you can point me to the most reliable forecasts for astronomy purposes. If possible forecasts that you have used over time and found to be good.

Thanks in advance, Ed.

I use a free app called Weather Radar. I find it OK. Nothing better though than just eyeballing the sky.

meteoblue has proved accurate for me, been using it for a couple years with no disappointment. They have predictions for astronomical seeing in arcsecond maximal resolution for every hour (night and day), with detailed info on jet stream speed, altitude of bad air layers, humidity close to the ground, cloud cover at several altitudes, all an imager or observer could wish for.

Edited by Ben the Ignorant
  • Like 1

When it comes to astronomy forecasts, I have found nothing to be more accurate than Clear Outside (FLO). Although I guess it depends on how volatile your local weather is, weather in the United States midwest tends to be fairly predictable.

• Like 1

Frem Bens post, I had a look Ed, its not half bad as it has a fair bit of info, as to it being accurate, well we can but watch.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/southend-on-sea_united-kingdom_2637433

Up until now, the BBC, which has become flunky since the MetOffice was replaced by austerity supplier and
EN24 satelite as above and
Clear Outside, which is very variable in accuracy, perhaps it is  fed from the BBC info?

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1