Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some advice on Zoom Eyepiece

8 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Bought an Opticstar 7.2 - 21.5mm zoom new for £75 and I really like it apart from a knocking  noise inside when you give it a shake. Not sure if it’s a supposed to do that or there’s something loose inside but it works fine and I've had some cracking views with it.

430E43F3-B72C-4FC6-A0ED-1E589D67BCEB.jpeg

Sounds like a loose lens/retaining ring somewhere. Easy fix if you dare venture into the realm of taking a zoom apart. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Bought an Opticstar 7.2 - 21.5mm zoom new for £75 and I really like it apart from a knocking  noise inside when you give it a shake. Not sure if it’s a supposed to do that or there’s something loose inside but it works fine and I've had some cracking views with it.

430E43F3-B72C-4FC6-A0ED-1E589D67BCEB.jpeg

The knocking noise you discribe is normal, the lenses are moving about in relation to each other by mechanical means so some play is required to prevent binding. Resist shaking it though it does not need or require it. ?

Most zoom eyepieces that I've owned have had a rattle of some sort or another. I also have the zoom that jock1958 has and it is a good performer - quite a bit better than I expected it to be. It works very well with a Baader 2.25x barlow lens to create a high power zoom eyepiece.

I'm a owner of a Baader Hyperion Mk III  8-24 as well as of a Seben Zoom 8-24. The Baader is better quality and can cope even with the 8"f/4 traveldob, but the Seben works fine with the Heritage 130P at f/5, so should do the same with your f/6 scope. I get very sharp and contrasty views of the moon and doubles up to mag 183x with the Seben and a Baader 2,25x shorty Barlow using the 130P.

Btw, both zooms "rattle" slightly when shaked, and Baader claims this sound as a proof of optics, that are not pinched. Others here on have made the same experience (in another thread I can't recall). As it seems, it has no negative impact on the image quality. (Just noticed-John has replied, having made similar experiences!)

Stephan

I had a Celestron zoom previously and it used to be great learning tool for me, with the zoom I learned about the apparent field of view of eyepieces especially. The zoom was +-24mm 40 degrees AFOV to 8mm to 60 degrees AFOV. IMHO I think it's essential to have at least 60 degrees of apparent field of view at 24mm. I would prefer a combo, a zoom but with a good low power eyepiece.

Thanks everyone really appreciate your opinions and experiences.

Well ive put in for ppi if i get any i will treat myself to the baader.

As i only got the scope last monday ive only got the standard 10mm & 25mm.And I'm seeing  things clearer with the 25mm used the 10mm on the moon tonight bit kept hiding behind pesky clouds but i had fun.

Once again  thanks so much,

Best regards

Dave

• 4 months later...
On 30/08/2018 at 15:46, Ricochet said:

The Regal zooms are available here. They do sometimes pop up second hand on eBay. Under such circumstances they tend to sell more cheaply than they should so bargains can be found. I think I might have been the only bidder on mine and so got it at the opening bid price. 

I came across discussion of Regal zoom eyepiece here and looking for help.  I obtained a broken but functional Regal M2 100 and the eyepiece did not zoom.  Contacting Celestron tech they suggeseted the 8-24 zoom model 92330.  I purchased and it is not very good in my opinion.  Evidently the model 82003 is no longer produced and sold yet this same eyepiece is on the Regal scope when you buy new.  Anyone know how I can get a model 82003?

19 minutes ago, karjak said:

I came across discussion of Regal zoom eyepiece here and looking for help.  I obtained a broken but functional Regal M2 100 and the eyepiece did not zoom.  Contacting Celestron tech they suggeseted the 8-24 zoom model 92330.  I purchased and it is not very good in my opinion.  Evidently the model 82003 is no longer produced and sold yet this same eyepiece is on the Regal scope when you buy new.  Anyone know how I can get a model 82003?

The same eyepiece is also sold with Olivon T-800 and T-900 spotting scopes.  As I said up above, there were some blems made with the powers printed in reverse that are sold by MASILMW on Cloudy Nights classifieds for $65.  I don't know where you live or if MASILMW ships out of the US, but this might be an option for you.  I actually prefer this version to the Regal version because it has a rubber grip instead of raised metal ribbing.

4 hours ago, karjak said:

They have the Regal zoom on e.bay here in the UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestron-82003-Zoom-Eyepiece-for-Regal-M2-Spotting-Scopes/272907589909?epid=1660398069&hash=item3f8a8f5915:g:sksAAOSwgspZtniJ:rk:4:pf:0

8 hours ago, karjak said:

Is it only the zoom that is broken or does the scope itself have damage that would limit the amount you want to spend on it? The Regal series of spotting scopes take astronomical standard 1.25" eyepieces so there are other options available. The Baader Hyperion Zoom MkIV immediately springs to mind. You could also choose to use fixed focal length eyepieces instead of a zoom, or maybe have the zoom and a fixed eyepiece. With my 65mm Pentax spotting scope I use a 14mm Pentax XW eyepiece 95% of the time. With your larger 100mm scope perhaps the 20mm XW would be a better all round choice to keep the field of view large and the magnification below the point at which heat haze is often an issue.

16 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

My gripe when using a zoom with a Dob is FOV at higher mag, just when you need more FOV so you're not chasing that planet so much, the higher mag cramps your FOV down to like 50 degrees. 

Not so with the Leica zoom. But that does cost a fair packet !

20 minutes ago, John said:

Not so with the Leica zoom. But that does cost a fair packet !

I have to have a look at this Leica zoom, i wasn't aware it even existed, do you have one?

Update..850 EUR!!! never mind i don't need to see anymore of it.

49 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I have to have a look at this Leica zoom, i wasn't aware it even existed, do you have one?

Update..850 EUR!!! never mind i don't need to see anymore of it.

I did have one for a while and it was very, very good. In the end I decided that it was not quite what I was looking for and let it go to another owner.

A Leica zoom very nearly came my way a while back but it wasn't to be. If it had I think I'd have been nervous about taking it out - oops butterfingers!  As it is I have an Altair Premium zoom and its pretty good. Not so clever at 24mm with the narrow fov but 18 -8mm its a respectable performer. It also has a little rattle but its not been an issue.

6 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Is it only the zoom that is broken or does the scope itself have damage that would limit the amount you want to spend on it? The Regal series of spotting scopes take astronomical standard 1.25" eyepieces so there are other options available. The Baader Hyperion Zoom MkIV immediately springs to mind. You could also choose to use fixed focal length eyepieces instead of a zoom, or maybe have the zoom and a fixed eyepiece. With my 65mm Pentax spotting scope I use a 14mm Pentax XW eyepiece 95% of the time. With your larger 100mm scope perhaps the 20mm XW would be a better all round choice to keep the field of view large and the magnification below the point at which heat haze is often an issue.

You have to be careful of the limited back-focus/in-focus available in some spotting scopes.  You really need eyepieces that focus very close to the shoulder.  They also have fairly shallow eyepiece receivers due to the erecting prisms, so you shouldn't use eyepieces that have overly long chrome insertion barrels.  You also need to be aware of vignetting with widest field eyepieces like the 24mm Panoptic.  Their clear aperture tends to be around 22mm to 24mm like a low cost binoviewer.

19 hours ago, Louis D said:

The same eyepiece is also sold with Olivon T-800 and T-900 spotting scopes.  As I said up above, there were some blems made with the powers printed in reverse that are sold by MASILMW on Cloudy Nights classifieds for $65.  I don't know where you live or if MASILMW ships out of the US, but this might be an option for you.  I actually prefer this version to the Regal version because it has a rubber grip instead of raised metal ribbing.

Thanks so much for the link (and to everyone else for helping me) .  I have made contact with vendor and awaiting info on method to purchase.  It might be interesting to note that anyone purchasing a Celstron 8-24 zoom eyepiece, that the #93230 is not the same puppy as what is sold with the Regal.  First Celestron Tech rep suggested it was the one to get.   I pressed the issue on a seperate tech assistance and received this reply:

"The eyepieces that come with the Regal are definitely better then the 93230. Unfortunately these eyepieces are not sold as separate items. I have asked and was advised that these are not available even as spares".
Best Regards,,
Tyler M.
Technical Support Representative 

--------

Anyone want to purchase a like new 93230 (8-24 zoom)?  You still can get the Model #82003  on Ebay in England and I received Email from USA vendor that still has 7 of them.  (Link removed)

7 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Thanks for your interest and comments.  Short Story:  I purchased as "New and Unopened" on Ebay for $600.  Too good to be true Yes.  I received with collar unit where eyepiece is inserted into, to be broken away from main scope unit.  The eyepiece was stuck inside the collar which had broken glass seal in bottom.   A message was sent to seller for refund by deadline or I would send in my completed Mail Fraud form.  Ended up I received money back and Seller did not want to pay for return. 

No longer waterproof or Nitrogen filled but I repaired as functional and had clear optics.  Eyepiece zoom didn't work which led me to seek replacement.  I very much had thought about purchasing fixed eyepieces as you suggested but was so impressed with view through included eyepiece  that I went that route.   I don't know why the zoom wouldn't work?  Short link of my first video through scope w/non-function zoom and a pic of still frame from another video:  

vlcsnap-2019-01-04-19h44m09s467 (2).jpg

54 minutes ago, karjak said:

Thanks for your interest and comments.  Short Story:  I purchased as "New and Unopened" on Ebay for $600.  Too good to be true Yes.  I received with collar unit where eyepiece is inserted into, to be broken away from main scope unit.  The eyepiece was stuck inside the collar which had broken glass seal in bottom.   A message was sent to seller for refund by deadline or I would send in my completed Mail Fraud form.  Ended up I received money back and Seller did not want to pay for return. 

No longer waterproof or Nitrogen filled but I repaired as functional and had clear optics.  Eyepiece zoom didn't work which led me to seek replacement.  I very much had thought about purchasing fixed eyepieces as you suggested but was so impressed with view through included eyepiece  that I went that route.   I don't know why the zoom wouldn't work?  Short link of my first video through scope w/non-function zoom and a pic of still frame from another video:  

vlcsnap-2019-01-04-19h44m09s467 (2).jpg

Nice video and picture. Looks like it's a really good scope you've got there despite the damage. :) I guess the eyepiece must have taken a hit inside the box and if it was powerful enough to smash the optical window in the scope it could easily have bent some part of the zoom mechanism. Usually the mechanism is just spiral grooves in the eyepiece barrel with little pins that move the lenses back and forth as you twist it. 

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Nice video and picture. Looks like it's a really good scope you've got there despite the damage. :) I guess the eyepiece must have taken a hit inside the box and if it was powerful enough to smash the optical window in the scope it could easily have bent some part of the zoom mechanism. Usually the mechanism is just spiral grooves in the eyepiece barrel with little pins that move the lenses back and forth as you twist it. 

Thanks - Hard to figure how this happened initially,  but it was packed beforehand broken as I got it.  The eyepiece would not have been factory shipped inserted into the mounting collar insert which was broken away.   The zoom setting on eyepiece moves freely back and forth between the stops but nothing changes, basically stays in one  magnification position.   I also have cheaper Celestron 80 Ultima which I was suprised how good I could focus on moon.  I am anxious to test out the Regal which has much better glass and start some celestial exploration.   Star people are as cool as Bird people.

Oh yeah here is a link of "New Unopened Box Opening"  I am glad I videoed: 

Archived