PC not booting up when ASI120MM camera conected.

tooth_dr

I recently acquired the camera, installed the most up to date drivers, and have been able to connect to the camera ok.  It is working as it should do wth PHD2, etc.  I shut down the PC and havent been using the obsy due to weather.

I turned on the PC last night and it wouldnt go past the initial HP screen on start-up.  This screen always appears when starting up the PC, and the options like F12 etc for boot menu briefly appear which is perfectly normal.  But in this case it doesnt have any options to press anything and the computer freezes.

I shut down by holding the power button on the front of the PC, and tried again, same thing.

So I plugged out the USB connector going in the camera, and rebooted = 100% normal, loads up as it should.

Shut down and plugged in camera and again it freezes at the HP screen.

Any ideas about what could be wrong?

Looks like this but with NO TEXT

image.png.741f7899633d7e70275b3b44f266992a.png

Just now, PeterCPC said:

What happens if you get the PC running and then plug in the camera?

Peter

It works fine.  So last night I booted all up, then plugged in the camera, started PHD2, connected it and along with mount, guided 100%.

I have a similar problem with my Skyris and Imaging source CCDs on my Sony VAIO. Doesnt boot when I plug in any of my CCDs into the built in USB2 ports....

Its ok with Hubs and mouses... but not OK with CCDs....

I installed a USB3 PCI Express card and use that exclusively for my imaging and all telescope functions and its ok with everything plugged into that, boots up fine.... call it a work around. 

It may also be worth checking whether your pc is Bios booting or UEFI booting. (Info here https://superuser.com/questions/496026/what-is-the-difference-in-boot-with-bios-and-boot-with-uefi#501867) , but if there's an .efi file as part of the ZWO USB initialisation, then that will fool the pc into thinking it can boot off it....

On 30/08/2018 at 16:04, Dr_Ju_ju said:

It may also be worth checking whether your pc is Bios booting or UEFI booting. (Info here https://superuser.com/questions/496026/what-is-the-difference-in-boot-with-bios-and-boot-with-uefi#501867) , but if there's an .efi file as part of the ZWO USB initialisation, then that will fool the pc into thinking it can boot off it....

Thanks Julian.  I had a look at the link, it's does mention windows 8.  As I'm running windows 7 does this apply?

It’d check for firmware updates. HP has a thing called ‘HP softpaq downloader“, which will gather info then suggest all the outdated drivers and firmware

I have 2 HP elite book laptops of different vintages, and they are both fine with my ZWO cameras, with or without a hub

12 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

It’d check for firmware updates. HP has a thing called ‘HP softpaq downloader“, which will gather info then suggest all the outdated drivers and firmware

I have 2 HP elite book laptops of different vintages, and they are both fine with my ZWO cameras, with or without a hub

Ah ok!  Do you mean actual PC updates?  I've disabled all updates, and my PC is not routinely connected online.  I will get it connected and download all updates to see if this helps.  The actual camera firmware was downloaded 3 weeks ago from the ZWO website so should be up to date.

Thanks for all your help Alex.

Adam.

For a Bios update, you'll need to visit the PC's manufacturer and\or the motherboard manufacturer to obtain the latest, they won't be delivered by the normal update channels, as it has to be installed before booting into the main OS...

30 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

For a Bios update, you'll need to visit the PC's manufacturer and\or the motherboard manufacturer to obtain the latest, they won't be delivered by the normal update channels, as it has to be installed before booting into the main OS...

Thanks Julian. Can it cause problems/can I get it wrong do you think?

Just make sure you've downloaded the correct one for your PC\motherboard, and then double check again....

If you've never done an upgrade, there are usually good instructions given by the manufacturers, you'll also need a USB stick (doesn't have to be large) that you make bootable, install an update application & download the update to. After that its usually just a case of following instructions.....

The Caveat must always be, if you get it wrong, you could 'brick' the PC & it will never boot again, hence check & re-check....

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Just make sure you've downloaded the correct one for your PC\motherboard, and then double check again....

If you've never done an upgrade, there are usually good instructions given by the manufacturers, you'll also need a USB stick (doesn't have to be large) that you make bootable, install an update application & download the update to. After that its usually just a case of following instructions.....

The Caveat must always be, if you get it wrong, you could 'brick' the PC & it will never boot again, hence check & re-check....

Thanks. My computer crashed last night mid-imaging. The first time since I started using in Feb 2017.  It must be related to the new cam. 

Archived