Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

MarsG76

Venus - 16 August 2018

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I started my session on the 16th August at the eyepiece. Venus was a bit less than half phase and had what looked like shading within, especially near the terminator. The disc was quite big at 290X and had a little bit of chromatic aberrations at the lit side, Venus looked great in the eyepiece so I captured a few 2950 frame videos of Venus and stacked the best 450. The resut is quite plain but this is only RGB, no UV capture so cloud structure did not come out.

Honestly Venus looked better in the eyepiece than how the image came out.

Clear Skies.

MG

Venus_16Aug2018_1805AEST.jpg

Edited by MarsG76
Cane Resulbat
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Honestly Venus looked better in the eyepiece than how the image cane out. [sic]

I have seen the  Venus crescent, and yes, amazing in the scope visually

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nicely captured. I was surprised how low Venus had at transit in the UK, when i looked the other day. Not had a chance to image it for a while.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Very nicely captured. I was surprised how low Venus had at transit in the UK, when i looked the other day. Not had a chance to image it for a while.

transit?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably daytime observation.  I do that too.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kev said:

Probably daytime observation.  I do that too.   

Yeah, but I thought that the next transit of Venus isn't until 2112.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Charic said:

I have seen the  Venus crescent, and yes, amazing in the scope visually

Theres something special about it when viewed in the eyepiece in a steady sky.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

transit?

 

Sorry,  didn't write that very well. I meant transiting the meridian, it's highest point after rising above the horizon. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Sorry,  didn't write that very well. I meant transiting the meridian, it's highest point after rising above the horizon. 

For a moment I thought we had rip in time and space and SGL was a wormhole...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

For a moment I thought we had rip in time and space and SGL was a wormhole...

Shame there wasn't a Venus transit happening. We were totally clouded out during the last one.

I saw the Mercury transit though 😊

On 30/08/2018 at 08:13, MarsG76 said:

transit?

 

Sorry,  didn't write that very well. I meant transiting the meridian, it's highest point after rising above the horizon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

We were totally clouded out during the last one.

We were lucky down here, some cloud but mostly lit by sunshine... I was at work during the transit but I happened to disappear for a while as it was happening... I just had my 800mm Lens and a makeshift solar filter for it.... I do regret not "being sick" on that day and taking some telescopic shots... Oh well.. next time 😕 in 99 years... cant wait.... hmm

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2018 at 21:07, MarsG76 said:

Honestly Venus looked better in the eyepiece than how the image came out.

Clear Skies. 

I have seen Venus this morning too across the southeast skies over Nigeria. I think I can proudly say that am among the very few (really really very few) Nigerians that have seen Venus through a telescope. Its a cool sight

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, louizi said:

I have seen Venus this morning too across the southeast skies over Nigeria. I think I can proudly say that am among the very few (really really very few) Nigerians that have seen Venus through a telescope. Its a cool sight

Yes agreed, there is something mesmerising about venus in the eyepiece...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.