Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus - 16 August 2018

MarsG76

Hi All,

I started my session on the 16th August at the eyepiece. Venus was a bit less than half phase and had what looked like shading within, especially near the terminator. The disc was quite big at 290X and had a little bit of chromatic aberrations at the lit side, Venus looked great in the eyepiece so I captured a few 2950 frame videos of Venus and stacked the best 450. The resut is quite plain but this is only RGB, no UV capture so cloud structure did not come out.

Honestly Venus looked better in the eyepiece than how the image came out.

Clear Skies.

MG

Venus_16Aug2018_1805AEST.jpg

30 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Very nicely captured. I was surprised how low Venus had at transit in the UK, when i looked the other day. Not had a chance to image it for a while.

transit?

8 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Sorry,  didn't write that very well. I meant transiting the meridian, it's highest point after rising above the horizon. 

For a moment I thought we had rip in time and space and SGL was a wormhole...

7 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

For a moment I thought we had rip in time and space and SGL was a wormhole...

Shame there wasn't a Venus transit happening. We were totally clouded out during the last one.

I saw the Mercury transit though ?

On 30/08/2018 at 08:13, MarsG76 said:

transit?

Sorry,  didn't write that very well. I meant transiting the meridian, it's highest point after rising above the horizon. 

52 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

We were totally clouded out during the last one.

We were lucky down here, some cloud but mostly lit by sunshine... I was at work during the transit but I happened to disappear for a while as it was happening... I just had my 800mm Lens and a makeshift solar filter for it.... I do regret not "being sick" on that day and taking some telescopic shots... Oh well.. next time ? in 99 years... cant wait.... hmm

• 3 months later...
On 29/08/2018 at 21:07, MarsG76 said:

Honestly Venus looked better in the eyepiece than how the image came out.

Clear Skies. 

I have seen Venus this morning too across the southeast skies over Nigeria. I think I can proudly say that am among the very few (really really very few) Nigerians that have seen Venus through a telescope. Its a cool sight

19 hours ago, louizi said:

I have seen Venus this morning too across the southeast skies over Nigeria. I think I can proudly say that am among the very few (really really very few) Nigerians that have seen Venus through a telescope. Its a cool sight

Yes agreed, there is something mesmerising about venus in the eyepiece...

Archived