Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from France

Trapezium23

Just registered. I am just starting to observe stars but have a wider interest in Astronomy and Cosmology. I'm in France, from the UK and am about to try and buy my first binoculars..any feedback would be appreciated. Am of a certain age (!) so wear spectacles for any suggestions relating to that. Not after anything too big, a 10 x 50 seems to be one that has been suggested a lot. Am in rural France so the sky can be awesome on a good night (any good spots to recommend in the UK also welcome)..So hello and bonjour.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonjour! Welcome on SGL :)

The rubber eye relief on my binoculars (Celestron Cometron 7x50) is retractable, which is more comfortable for people with glasses (like me). I believe this is a standard feature for this kind of binoculars! 

Here is a review, with "real life" pictures, to give you an idea of the size: https://www.space.com/27866-celestron-cometron-7x50-binoculars-review.html

These are my first binoculars, so I'm not very experienced, but I really like them so far! The quality is good enough for my usage, the price is low, and with an adapter you can mount them on a ballhead/tripod. 

3 minutes ago, Trapezium23 said:

ps I have never been part of a forum in my life before.........

Welcome to SGL - you've chosen a good place for your initiation into forums. Talking of which, has the initiation ceremony been explained to you?  ?

Howdy from Kentucky! I understand the eyeglasses issue. I usually remove mine while observing. If I'm messing with the setting circles then I usually do the glasses on the tip of the nose thing. Hahahaha

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Trapezium, & welcome to SGL. 

We do, although we usually spell it 'cur'!

Hahahaha hahahaha made me choke on my drink again! :D

23 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Welcome to SGL - you've chosen a good place for your initiation into forums. Talking of which, has the initiation ceremony been explained to you?  ?

Is that the one where the initiate has to prove that he's spent four thousand pounds on some very small pieces of round glass? :D

Welcome to SGL. I, too, am of a certain age and would recommend 8x rather than 10x for binoculars. I used to be able to get a nice steady view from 10x but now greatly prefer 8x for hand holding. Personally I use 8x42. If your glasses correct for astigmatism then you may well want to keep them on for binocular observing. If not you may find you can just focus and be fine. Binoculars allow individual eye focus.

I'm also in rural France, the south east, with lovely dark skies. I've been here fifteen years almost to the day.

Olly

I don't think any half-decent binocular maker still produces eyepieces devoid of retractable or foldable eyecups, eyeglasses are not an issue anymore. And very short eye relief seems to have disappeared, too. Suffcient eye relief and mobile eyecups are standard features now, but the more transparent Bak-4 prisms and complete multi-layer coatings are not, yet.

Thumb rests under the binocular are a nice convenience, too. Lastly, be aware that a straight bino has to cost at least 50% more than a Porro (angled) bino to get the same transparency, field width and image quality.

Archived