SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi

After my recent heart scare, that may or may not have caused my mini-stroke. I was thinking of imaging the Heart Nebula with my set up.

I have a unmodified canon 70d camera and shall be using a IDAS-D2 LP filter. 

A 102mm APO refractor on a avx mount. Using 300s exposures.

Will this pick out the nebulosity? The crescent Nebula which i posted  had a total integration time of 21 hours and still faily faint. . Would the Heart nebula still requre this amount of time or would i just be waisting time?

Cheers

Dean

I think you will only capture the outer regions. To image the detailed inner stuff, you need either a modded camera or nb filters.

Oh, and dark skies of course.

Have a look on astrobin to get an idea.

The North America nebula, especially the Cygnus Wall ("California" area of the NA neb), is possible with an unmodded camera. So is the real California nebula, later this year. With an unmodded camera, you need a lot of subs to make up for the weak signal.

1 hour ago, gonzostar said:

Now we are entering a month with a R init, what is your next target?

?

Unboxing stuff at the moment. We've just moved and there are still boxes everywhere. On top of that is a cloud cover. But I will try some target in Casseiopea probably. And later on I want to collect more data on M110, plus some dwarf galaxies. My sky is about 2 magnitudes darker (on paper) than before, which puts faint targets within reach.

Rosette nebula also could be an option - had decent success with it with an unmodified camera from London. 

On 30/08/2018 at 16:02, wimvb said:

The North America nebula, especially the Cygnus Wall ("California" area of the NA neb), is possible with an unmodded camera. So is the real California nebula, later this year. With an unmodded camera, you need a lot of subs to make up for the weak signal.

Interesting about the North America nebula Wim - Tried this target out but found it hard due to the faintness and how spread out it is. I will definitely try it again this spring -   now that I have a modded camera - fingers crossed with  darker skies.

There is a very simple Photoshop trick which will pull out Ha from all Ha targets but which is particularly useful if you're short of signal. Just go to Image-Adjustments-Selective Colour and it will open by default in reds. Move the top slider to the left to lower the cyans in red. That's it - but it can make a big difference.

Olly

Archived