Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Who Makes The Best Binoculars?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/08/2018 at 20:16, GavStar said:

Rainmaker, I think I saw you had a new project to do a Tak 102 binoscope? That should be rather nice as well...

I finally managed to convince a friend to sell his TSA102S to me, they are performing really nicely,  I am using the Tak LE and Abbe eyepieces as well as my favourite bino-pair, the superb Pentax XF8,5mm.

MIS_5974.jpg

MIS_5972.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely as these twin-mounted big guns are (and I would dearly like to have a look through them, and of course be able to afford a pair), they do have one issue: they take more time to set up than my regular scope, and part of the appeal of binoculars is that they are quick off the mark and allow you to grab those fleeting clear spells. I recently had a couple of such sessions with the Helios LightQuest 16x80s and boy are they excellent (and I didn't have to sell a kidney to own a pair ;))

On 13/10/2018 at 23:06, Rainmaker said:

I finally managed to convince a friend to sell his TSA102S to me, they are performing really nicely,  I am using the Tak LE and Abbe eyepieces as well as my favourite bino-pair, the superb Pentax XF8,5mm.

MIS_5974.jpg

MIS_5972.jpg

The XF 8.5! Now there's an EP I regret selling, even though the Delos 8 that replaced it is excellent. The rest of the set-up looks great as well, of course. Awesome piece of kit

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love my Vixen Ascot ZR 8x42WP: 8.2 degree fov, good build quality, moderate weight, waterproof (nitrogen filled), pretty sharp images and high light transmission. The only thing it lacks is an ED glass for improved colour correction which probably isn't needed for its 8x power as I haven't noticed any CA yet.

• 5 weeks later...

I am very happy with my Celestron 12x60s. Enough aperture and enough magnification, but not too much. I can still use them without support. I can't remember what I paid for them but it was much less than €100.

Archived