M76 Little Dumbell - a dumb choice

MartinB

Lovely sky tonight, great seeing, no dew but blowing old boots. Not a great time to be imaging at 2500mm F10 esp narrow band but I just wanted to sort out a few gremlins with my active optics unit.

Well the wind got to the image and it was a bit of a struggle but the gremlins are all sorted now (guide cable was dodgy)

This is 10x10 mins each for HA and OIII with a synthetic green channel.

It's a diddy little thing.

9609_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thanks a lot guys. The wind just seems to have the effect of slightly smearing everything. I processed it on my laptop when I got in but have now had a go at it using a decent monitor,

9611_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Excellent image Martin, it's a very faint object. I remember a few months ago being extrememly frustrated with a guiding problem, turned out to be a dodgy cable, there's nothing more frustrating. This looks fantastic in narrowband, never seen this object done this way before.

Steve

Thanks everyone.

Very impressive result. Looks almost as tight as it could be at that FL despite the wind. I don't know what were the problems you had with the AO, I don't have experience of one, but how much difference do you think the AO unit makes?

David I think the AO makes a signifcant difference. Because of the wind I limited the guide exposures to 0.2 secs to keep a good s/n ratio and that was giving 4 guide cycles per second. That was just quick enough to keep the guide star in the window during gusts although I did loose a few subs. I doubt it would have been possible to get many subs guiding conventionally. For the final 20 mins of the session the wind had dropped so I was able to drop the guide exposure to 0.08 secs giving a 10hz cycle. At this speed the stars are really tight with sub 2 arc sec FWHM stars. If you can overcome all the difficulties then AO will improve resolution (provided you can find a bright enough guide star). That's why I've stuck at it.

The problem I was having at Kelling was that the mount wouldn't respond to signals from the AO. Same problem last night so I changed the cable and everything was fine. The AO window only has limited travel so after a while it needs to be recentred by making corrections through the mount.

Very nice Little Dumbbell Martin - and interesting description on how the AO works.

Sam

Thanks Sam. I feel like saying I now have the AO sorted and working for me but that would be tempting fate. Once I've had a few more successful runs I will do a write up since it is very interesting technology. Nothing like as hard to use as I've made it appear.!

Archived