Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Logbook Observing records

One of the things I was told years ago when I started observing was to keep a record of my observations. Observing sheets serve many different purposes. They can record information that is of interest to the professional science community. They active your memory about what you have seen. They can even improve the detail that you can see. There is no "set" that you have to record. It all depends on why you are recording it. They can have as much or as little info as you want. Some folks prefer to use an actual piece of paper, some prefer digital. It's up to you. But bear in mind that you get out of it what you put in to it. Some recording sheets are specialized while others are more broad. They can include things such as the following: object name, constellation, coordinates, observing location, equipment used, weather conditions, seeing and transparency, magnification, notes, sketching area, ECT.

Now I had said that info could be of interest to the professionals. This can be things like place and direction you've saw a fireball from. Your info can help them triangulate it and possibly recover it if they suspect it hit the ground somewhere. Maybe you just discovered a new comet. They need your info to "officially" confirm it. Let's just hope it isn't an ELE (ala Elijah Wood in Deep Impact). 

I also said it helps with memory. For example: Once I was looking at M18. I hadn't seen it before or had I? I had seen it before but had forgotten until I was looking through past records. I had completely forgotten until I started reading them. And what about the beautiful multi colored meteor that flew by Jupiter one night? I could of forgotten completely! But reading your past records can reawaken your memory. They can be so vivid that it's like you're back at the eyepiece from that session!

They can also improve the details you see. Many observing sheets have a place for sketch's. You don't have to be an artist. I'm definitely not! But attempting a sketch makes you spend more time on an object. The more time you spend on it, the more detail that will show itself. Even if you are not 100% certain that you saw a detail, but you keep getting a glimpse of something, add it to your sketch. More often than not it's actual details when compared with a picture. That little stellaring speck you keep seeing off and on around Saturn, probably one of it's small moons. You can try to confirm it later with moon positions on the computer. If it's not a moon or some other confirmable object then you can remove it. But the more you do this the easier it becomes to see details. It helps to train your eyes.

You can buy observing sheets in premade logbooks or you can make your own with free observing sheets on the internet. It's totally up to you. But if you haven't been keeping records then give it a shot. It may just amazed you or take you back to clear skies on a rainy day!

Here are some examples of logbook sheets I've used from the net.

IMG_20180826_213840.jpg

IMG_20180826_213743.jpg

IMG_20180826_213626.jpg

IMG_20180826_213551.jpg

IMG_20180826_213322.jpg

IMG_20180826_213216.jpg

IMG_20180826_213140.jpg

Another great post Kn4fty! I do regret not having kept a log of my observations over the years. I tend to try to write some of them up on here so they are there as a record, but your log sheets and sketches look excellent.

Excellent post, Kn4fty, that sums up all aspects nicely! I have been keeping logbooks since 1973 ( three years after I started observing), of course, then, in paper version (the Commodore Pet 2001came four years later). I can recommend it to anyone of the newbies (IMO, still preferably in the paper version; you never know about hard-or software features in the long run!); it's so much fun to read after years (or decades in my case) about the experiences and specials of so many sessions. And, yes, it reawakens the memories considerably! Visitors; animals disturbing or cheering up; new gear; first sightings of.... often puts a smile on my face.

Stephan

My logs go back to the year 2000. It`s surprising how often I might look back to read up on something, especially transient events like comets or fireballs. I enjoy reading up on my reports from previous star parties and it gives me ideas for objects to either re visit or objects that I did not get to see. I thought about going digital with my records but it still seems more accessible to have a folder on the shelf. 

13 hours ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

That sounds great. Does anyone know where I can find some observation log sheets?

Raph

I was going to post a link to a really useful resource (astronomylogs.com) that I've gotten loads oc stuff off, but they appear to have not paid their hosting bill.  I'll fish them off my laptop if you want? 

Archived