Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collecting Wows!

Tim

It were an absolute pleasure Tim & thanks for putting me up for a couple of nights the slabbed area was made for my Caravan I reckon lol, just a pity both my mounts decided to go kaput in the evening so I'll be checking them out later to get them going again. I were a little worried when one young girl started jumping on the stepladders as she were so excited about seeing her favorite planet for the first time Saturn. 

I also like the fact I got some cogs whirring about the screen idea, Well here ya go although this was on my old van so it were more a widescreen version lol.

screen.thumb.jpg.381cb38e296c4a4aa86973bcb69baaba.jpg

Anyhow thanks again & hope we can do another event soon....

1052758244_outreach04.thumb.jpg.b93a28addf7acc5af50310c9167e0e53.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Good to see you're still on the diet Tich :grin:

Dave

I love the strategically placed paracetamol.  In anticipation of the kids' relentless questions later :thumbright:

Also love the last pic as, at first glance, I thought "look at the length of that eyepiece"!!  I had to take a closer look to see it's the finder ?

Gotta keep the diet up there @Davey-T as I like to keep in shape, round is a shape right?

Also I think you'll find @RayD that the finder is actually a Lunt 35 Ha solar scope ? It does fit perfectly in the finder brackets though so you can look at white light & Ha pretty much from the same position. 

9 minutes ago, tich said:

Also I think you'll find @RayD that the finder is actually a Lunt 35 Ha solar scope ? It does fit perfectly in the finder brackets though so you can look at white light & Ha pretty much from the same position. 

Ah apologies, my mistake ?

No rain? Hmmmm we did have a couple of downpours during the day but they soon passed, in other news @Timafter both my mounts going kaput Saturday evening the first being the old Vixen mount as it slewed the power failed & it went off, I wiggled the power lead & it went on & off again which led me to believe the power socket on the board was had it. Well I connected it all tonight at home & all was fine, no amount of wiggling the lead made a difference as it didn't loose any power.
So I tested the EQ5 Pro as that went totally dead on Saturday night, that ended up it being the power lead failing so I've ordered another one  from FLO, I'm just glad it were nothing serious phew!!

Tim the Gremlins seem to be sorted out now so onward to Kelling & see you there, I do hope we can do another event soon as you're only approx 45 mins away from me, I always thought it were more.

22 hours ago, bingevader said:

Absolutely fabulous!

Any thoughts on the logistics of  putting the whole thing on?

We've got one coming up in the village in a month or so and I would love your input.

Must dos and definitely don't dos, etc!

Cheers

@tich

22 hours ago, bingevader said:

Absolutely fabulous!

Any thoughts on the logistics of  putting the whole thing on?

We've got one coming up in the village in a month or so and I would love your input.

Must dos and definitely don't dos, etc!

Cheers

I'd just say, make it lots of fun, fairly fast paced for people waiting around, and show them the wow objects, and be ready to say a million times, "thats it, you dont need to touch the eyepiece at all....." ;)

Consider where people will park, where they will stand, and how they will be safe around any cables. Make a fuss of the kids, not only do they like it, the parents do too. 

Try and give the impression that astronomy is easy, accessible, and affordable for most people, because it is these days.

Again, have fun :)

As Tim says try to make sure the kids don't yank on the eye pieces as they have a habit in doing that so just tell them politely not to touch, try & keep cables out of the way, its always handy to have a set of steps with a handle on top so they can hold on while looking in the eyepiece as not everyone can reach even me lol. Answer any questions you can although if you don't know the answer don't try to fudge it just answer you don't know trust me it makes life a lot easier. It's always an idea to have a plan B in case of rubbish weather a lot of people cancel but I think if you've gotten interest folk may turn up & be more disappointed, you can still set up a scope & explain how it works & what you can see with it. If you can get some freebies to give away then that helps too. Tim was a natural with the kids he took to doing an outreach like a duck to water lol, it can be a fast paced event or it can be more relaxing & pretty quiet it all depends on the day, but whatever you do just enjoy it & if you hear any cors & wows then consider it a success.
I've done quite a few events now international SUNday is one I regularly attend, the last 3 years we've held it in Daventry & the first couple of times I were quite apprehensive but the first 2 events went well as it were done in the town center, this years was very quiet due to where they put us & we only saw mother father & daughter for the whole day which was a shame. But that were down to the towns organizers & not us so if they put us there again I may not bother & try setting up somewhere else. 

GC8863E.jpg

Dav.jpg.bf6f3582499ff77bdf71bbb5d4973621.jpg

steam.jpg.5e06128b442b9767142a114faf35bfc0.jpg

1062407936_Steam2.jpg.346564f5da4df70aa9320ba540eae2c7.jpg

storm.jpg.7780981dc1dde6ff67f20ec0aa9053be.jpg

They'll be back at Braunston on the 22nd September where myself & a few others will be doing another outreach event, it's a fundraising event we do every year for the air ambulance.

1 hour ago, tich said:

They'll be back at Braunston on the 22nd September where myself & a few others will be doing another outreach event, it's a fundraising event we do every year for the air ambulance.

@tich is the event at the Braunston Marina? My canal boat is moored there and I am taking the boat out on the 21st September although I could delay until the following day.

Archived