Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where they fit and when !

cotterless45

With so much up there , it's easy to lose track of what goes where and when to expect what !

I found this old chart to which I added the months of what's above monthly (zenith) around midnight.

It also gives Messier's and I hopes demistifys RA and Dec. Included is a bit of Lacerta blood from a paper cut.Very often you get whole sky charts which are seasonal or monthly. This shows the whole lot and the shape of our galaxy , under 

Clear skies ! Nick.IMG_6231.thumb.JPG.ecfec7acd3295cc98f2dcda8c87398b9.JPG

Good one Nick. 

If anyone is interested in a slightly more hi-tech approach there is a useful app called Deep Sky Browser which does a similar thing. For Messier objects, and loads more, it gives data and altitude graphs for the day and for the year. Very useful for finding the optimum time or date for that elusive Messier. I'm still some missing though! ?

Coincidentally Nick, I was looking at a very similar style map yesterday when I was researching the distribution of the Arps in the sky. Not surprisingly they are in the milky way trough in and around Leo and under the milky way peak around Andromeda. Like you I also found it very useful for visualising the seasons and the types of objects which are visible then. 

Archived